Today is Just Another Day

by Kevin on April 15, 2008

Many bloggers out there are sharing tales of asking for extensions or finally successfully filing their taxes today. That, or they are sharing stories from the mainstream media or even their own readers.

income tax refunds

(Photo by The Consumerist’s photostream.)

I don’t want all that grief.

We did our taxes back in March. We owed money, and made the payment then anyways. We could have scheduled the payment for today, but that would leave a task ‘undone’ in our lives. We would earn a few cents of interest, but there is a good possibility I would fret until that payment came out. I don’t want to cross the government. No thanks. Paying up front let me know that everything was good to go and I can move on with our financial life.

I was actually really hesitant to write this post. I wanted to avoid discussing taxes today. Peer pressure. “Everyone else is doing it…”

What about you?

Did you wait until today or this past weekend? Do you enjoy the pressure or did you not know where the money was going to come from?

Or did you get it done early in tax season just to be done with it?

Stephanie @ PoorerThanYou April 15, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I usually try to do my taxes in early February, if I can – so that I can do my college financial aid paperwork as soon as possible. This year, I didn’t get to it until mid-March, due to some problems with my dependency status.

The nice thing about this is that I’ve gotten into the habit of doing my taxes as soon as possible – hopefully that’s a habit I can carry with me for years to come, because it’s extremely nice to have them done early and not worry about it!

Seb April 15, 2008 at 7:46 pm

I filed in early February. I never got the point of waiting until the last minute… I like seeing the size of my return. 🙂

Digger October 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I love reading these articles because they’re short but inofarmitve.

hmebqqqcrb October 5, 2011 at 3:55 am

531Oow flgeudgdkazc

bmlmdvro October 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

4zi5mH uhbjlycqujcq

Shel April 15, 2008 at 8:49 pm

First week of March! We’ve actually been paid our state & federal refunds already! 😀

Mike April 15, 2008 at 10:24 pm

I made a point of getting my taxes done on April 14th… that way I didn’t have to wait in that silly line at the post office on the 15th but was still able to indulge my procrastinatory tendencies.

Kelli Myers April 16, 2008 at 1:22 am

I’ve also cleared all Tax related matters in March itself. 🙂

Kevin April 16, 2008 at 8:42 am

@Mike: Was the line that much better on the 14th? I’d imagine the folks that did it this past weekend would be there.

@Seb, Shel, Stephanie, and Kelli: Glad to see I’m not alone.

Mike April 16, 2008 at 10:49 am

Yeah, the line on the 14th was not long at all… I think I’ll probably repeat this next year.

Future Millionaire April 16, 2008 at 7:37 pm

I’m all about getting it over and done with. The second I receive my W-2’s and 1090’s for interest I file those bad boys.