Pay for the Scoops, Enjoy the Quarts

by Kevin on May 9, 2008

Rum and Raisin with a flake...The weather has warmed up around here, and we’re enjoying temperatures in the 80s and 90s. Nothing soothes on a hot day like a few scoops of ice cream in a waffle cone.

But, why pay $3 per cone when you can buy a half-gallon for $5 or $6? You could buy two ice cream cones or enjoy a whole quart of ice cream. That seems like simple math to me.

Granted, a trip to Bruster’s Ice Cream Shop or Cold Stone Creamery can be a fun date. I’m not discounting that. I just think it can be expensive.

Then again, at Bruster’s the amount of ice cream they give you might be a quart!

Nonetheless it is much more frugal to eat ice cream at home. You may miss the waffle cone, but you get more bang for your buck with the half-gallon bucket.

Two Added Bonuses to Eating Ice Cream at Home

You can control the portion size. Smaller portions means your container lasts longer and eating less ice cream each serving is a slightly healthier option (hey, it’s still ice cream).

Additionally, when you purchase ice cream at the grocery store you can see the nutritional facts. Ice cream isn’t the best thing for you, but maybe you choose a brand with less fat. Every little bit counts.

So let’s have it — who here loves ice cream? What’s your favorite flavor? Leave a comment!

I personally love chocolate chip cookie dough, especially from Bruster’s because they have actual huge chunks of cookie dough in it. Back in the day Baskin Robbin’s had a flavor called Double Chocolate Fudge or something like that. It was very dark brown and extremely rich… but so good. I haven’t seen it in a while.

(Photo above by Tom Coates.)

{ 1 trackback }

The Financial Blogger | #126 Festival Of Frugality รขโ‚ฌโ€œ If I Had A Car Edition
May 20, 2008 at 7:16 am

Penelope @ Our Fourpence Worth May 9, 2008 at 7:46 am

In the past 6 months or so, we’ve bought 2 gallon tubs of ice cream on sale for $3.99 and boxes of sugar cones at $1.79 a dozen. 1 gallon of ice cream and 2 boxes of cones last us a really long time (in fact we’ve had this one gallon for about 2 months now … hmmm … I wonder if it’s still safe).

Anyways, my favorite flavor is mint chip – except the buckets on sale are always vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or Neapolitan so I always get the Neapolitan for variety and savings. ๐Ÿ˜€

Michael Smith May 9, 2008 at 7:59 am

Breyer’s Rocky Road has rightly won my vote for best ice cream ever. (chocolate covered almonds – are you serious?!?!).

I will say the advantage of Bruster’s or Baskin Robbin’s is that I’m less likely to stop and buy ice cream at 10 p.m. than I am to enjoy a late-night binge while watching Top Chef.

But then again, ice cream is ice cream no matter when you eat it.

Good post!

Philip May 9, 2008 at 8:37 am

I love Blue Bell ice creams, and they are getting expensive but not in comparison to shops. Also, you can come close to getting waffle cones at the store, still cheaper.

Another option that is satisfying but a bit healthier is Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches, those usually cure my sweet tooth for ice cream.

Mom @ Wide Open Wallet May 9, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Since you mentioned Cold Stone… mmmm… Their oatmeal cookie dough with walnuts and graham cracker crust. Holy cow that is so good.

At home I can always go for Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby.

Philip Robert May 9, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Some of my favorite childhood memories are about home made ice cream at my Grandparents home. Grandpa had a big crank ice cream maker and all the kids would take turns churning the ice cream until it was ready. We never got fancy with the flavors. It was either vanilla or chocolate, but boy was it yummy. Now there are numerous Ice Cream Makers for under $100, many under $50. Then you can really control the ingredients of your ice cream… Try this ONE!

Shawn Knight May 9, 2008 at 4:45 pm

I’m one of the few people that can’t stand cookie dough ice cream… although I love cookies!

For me, my favorites are mint chocolate chip and cherries jubilee.

Future Millionaire May 10, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Birthday Ice cream is my absolute favorite. I love the frosting inside of the ice cream. For the longest time the only place to get this was Brusters but now Mayfair is making their version.

Greener Pastures May 20, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Really good french vanilla, with really good hot fudge sauce….

or Black Rasberry.

Fun article!
Lisa

Melissa May 20, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Newly discovered flavor: Dreyers loaded Mint Fudge Brownie ice cream. It’s the best! And I actually got it because I was driving home from work one night, craving ice cream, and decided to skip the shoppe in favor of the freezer section (this was before I read your blog!).

Urban Frugal May 20, 2008 at 6:37 pm

A good dark chocolate ice cream is great. My favorite at the moment is Walgreen’s Bear Claw: dark chocolate with a ribbon of caramel and chocolate covered cashews.

Just a little goes a long way.

When you buy ice cream to eat at home and don’t plan to use it all use this tip to help you preserve your treat. Cover the surface of the ice cream with plastic wrap -directly on the ice cream and it will resist freezer burn!

H Lee D May 26, 2008 at 12:20 am

I don’t buy it at the store because I don’t want to eat that much of it. I don’t have a lot of pass-on-the-ice-cream control. I can go out and order a small or child’s-size cone or cup and be content, but a half gallon in the freezer calls out to me…

And being overweight costs more than eating out for ice cream occasionally…

That said, Ben and Jerry’s chocolate fudge brownie is my current favorite (and can be bought in a single-serving container at the grocery store for $1!). Mint chocolate cookie and vanilla Heath bar are good, too, but they only come in pints ๐Ÿ™‚