Seriously, Where Is Our Rebate?

by Kevin on May 12, 2008

IRS

(Photo by mdid)

Frustration mounts.

With all the rah-rah celebration around the tax rebates, I was actually looking forward to getting ours. We filed our taxes electronically so we should be receiving our “free” money electronically. I want to get it not to go out and buy a TV (although that would be nice), but to bolster our emergency fund. We talked about the tax rebate twice last week.

No matter how I feel about the overall impact of the checks — I still want mine. Everyone else is blogging about getting theirs… where’s ours?

We filed together, and both of our social security numbers fit into the middle tier for electronic filing. That means our rebate should have been processed by May 9th, this past Friday. (You can see more about the tiers over at Consumerism Commentary.)

But nothing has shown up in the bank account that we paid our taxes from. Zip. Zada.

Frustrating.

I’ve also heard that it can take up to two weeks from the transmission date for it to hit your bank account. That seems odd; it’s all electronic.

As they say, you can’t lose what you never had. I suppose that’s true — but this is something technically I should have! I feel like we’ve lost it.

I think the real issue I have with it is I am fearing having to call the IRS to try and figure it out. We’ll give it a few days before resorting to that.

A quick poll: I’m curious… anyone else out there expecting the tax rebate and haven’t received it yet? Especially if you filed electronically?

Eric May 12, 2008 at 8:21 am

I got mine…

Kevin May 12, 2008 at 8:28 am

@Eric: Did you have a tax refund from 2007 or did you pay?

We ended up paying a little bit, and I’ve read that if you paid — even electronically — that your check will still be coming via mail. Genius. Again, all rumors since there is nothing solid to go off of.

Philip May 12, 2008 at 8:47 am

I got mine, but also got a tax refund this year. Honestly, I would just wait until it is all supposed to be paid out before worrying about it too much. It sounds like it is not dire for you to receive the payment.

Eric May 12, 2008 at 9:49 am

I was owed a few bucks actually.

Would this help: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96596,00.html

Kevin May 12, 2008 at 9:58 am

@Eric: That’s for the standard refunds. I found the search utility for the tax rebates, and it acts like it doesn’t know what I’m asking for (can’t find my info, etc.)

I’m going to let it ride for a few weeks and see if we get past the date for our paper check before calling in.

Ricky May 12, 2008 at 9:59 am

I wouldn’t fret over it too much Kevin. This is the IRS we are talking about here. I filed electronically, recieved a rebate, and I was given the same target date as you (May 9th). But I too have yet to see the money deposited into our account. I’ll let you know when we get ours.

Philip Robert May 12, 2008 at 10:09 pm

My Dad called to see if I had received mine. Told him that I was expecting it to be a direct deposit. After the phone call I checked my account and Voila it was there. 🙂

Ricky May 13, 2008 at 8:51 am

Well…
All I had to do was talk about it and it showed up yesterday. Maybe yours isn’t too far behind!

Andrea May 14, 2008 at 2:06 pm

I think they are actually only doing the direct deposit for those who are receiving their 2007 refund via direct deposit and not for those who paid their 2007 taxes by electronic check (even though they should technically have your information to do the direct deposit). For those who had taxes due, I think we have to wait for paper checks to go out in June :-/

Brett May 15, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I was worried too, but then it came May 13th. I was expecting a check and forgot about direct deposit. Then once I remembered, I checked and it had come that day.