How About a Little Action with Your Blogging Day?

by Kevin on October 17, 2008

Yesterday I wrote an unpopular post stating that I thought Blog Action Day was (Mostly) Worthless. It generated some interesting discussion in the comments — so check them out. Some people agreed, others agreed partially, and a few really vehemently disagreed with me.

It also seems I offended those that support BAD. Instead of furthering a discussion, they came in, got upset, and threw middle school insults around. Way to further your cause.

Let’s have an adult discussion. (Is that possible on the internet?)

Some are doing good

There were a few examples pointed out to me of people actually doing something. Others mentioned that Blog Action Day had a donation page that showed $3,159 in donations and that it was impossible to track what other bloggers had donated if they hadn’t gone through the BAD website.

I’ll grant that there is no conceivable way to track how much money has been donated through the blogs. So here’s a genius idea: get everyone to donate through the website.

The BAD donation page shows $3,159 of donations from the 12,836 participating bloggers. The goal was $50,000. They’ve hit 6.3% of the goal … that’s only 25 cents per participating blogger.

It’s called Action for a reason

Here’s an amazing idea… instead of getting everyone to blog about poverty first in hopes of it leading to discussion and then to action… why not have bloggers do action first and then blog about it?

It seems very backwards to me. Imagine 12,000+ bloggers going out into their communities and doing something to affect change in that community? What if they brought along 10 friends?

Heck, if you want, have three days: one to blog and increase awareness about the second day — the action day — and then a third to blog about the action day. Include photos and stories about what you did to fight poverty (or whatever the topic is that year).

I hope that donation bar changes

$3,159 from 12,000+ bloggers is just sad. I’m hoping that the total only gets updated once per day or something like that. That $3k is going to do very little to fight poverty around the world.

What if next year there was an “encouraged” (instead of required) donation of $10 to register your blog with Blog Action Day? There’s $120,000+ for good causes right off the bat. And the number is public, it’s a relatively large number (compared to $3,000) and could possibly generate more momentum by encouraging others that “Wow, we really are making a difference.”

Or you could change it so that there are different sponsorship levels. $10 for basic entry into BAD, $25 for the bronze tier, $100 for the silver tier, and $250 for the gold tier. The blogs that gave the most could be given a special section showing they are putting their money where their blogs are.

What do you think? How can we increase “Action”? More talk?

{ 1 trackback }

Kristy’s Weekly Round-Up | Master Your Card
October 18, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Big Cajun Man October 17, 2008 at 7:08 am

As a fellow blogger, I really didn’t know about it, until it happened and then wasn’t too sure what exactly I was supposed to do.

Maybe a wider net for the next one (i.e. comments on sites, or e-mails sent to authors).

Sorry for the inaction

C8j

maria October 17, 2008 at 7:21 am

I totally agreed with your post yesterday!

[email protected] October 17, 2008 at 8:15 am

I think what you’re trying to say is “talk is cheap.” I agree.
Action first, then talking about it. Otherwise bloggers come off sounding like politicians who have zero experience, yet have all the answers to everyone’s problems.

laura October 17, 2008 at 8:54 am

I was really intrigued when I read your post title listed on the BAD site. I think the idea of doing then publicizing or reflecting on what you do to combat poverty is a good one.

Since I reflected that I found value in the process of thinking about poverty causes and solutions more than usual to write about it, I found this discussion here to be part of that valuable process.

I also found satisfaction in doing so, and what the heck is wrong with a little no-cost personal satisfaction these days??

BTW – also love Ron Paul but won’t be writing him in next month.

Ashley @ Wide Open Wallet October 17, 2008 at 3:26 pm

BAD should hire you. 🙂 Your ideas are very good. Blogging about what you did to help would be better than just blogging about the fact that people are in poverty. No new info there.

Lil' Boozie October 17, 2008 at 4:14 pm

I agree in the philosophy of action first, Kevin. It’s really the only way to legitimize a personal opinion or cause. Hopefully, people will reflect on the commentary and discussion that has spanned your two posts, and decide to take some sort of action.

Best,
Suz

Matt @ Steadfast Finances October 19, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I’m following your logic as well. As a new blogger, the BAD campaign was new to me, but action over donations seems to be the more logical choice.

In terms of results, consider the success of T. Boone Pickens and the Pickens Plan. Granted, he is a multi-billionaire who can afford a TV commercial campaign, but he only asks that you bring in fellow believers and create an “army” versus giving money to the cause. Last I checked he had 1.1 million subscribers.

Plus – getting money from personal finance bloggers seems rather counter intuitive wouldn’t ya think?