Interesting Links for December 2, 2008

by Kevin on December 2, 2008

I’ve taken the day off of work today. Why a random Tuesday in the middle of the week? I’ve got a presentation to the board of trustees of my MBA program for one of my courses. Gulp! So while I’m off presenting here are some links I found interesting recently.

Newsflash! It’s official: the US economy is in a recession. … duh? Because of this announcement (and other economic bad news) the market tanked 8 or 9% yesterday. Seems odd to me as you would imagine most of this information is already “priced in” to the market. Either way I was happy for the downturn as my IRA contributions are set to go through today. Unless the market rallies back a lot in one day, I just got a discount.

brip blap tells us we will all be more wealthy without kids despite the fact that he has two kids. It’s an obvious statement, but I agree with him that sometimes people don’t want to talk about the costs involved. We are already planning far ahead for some of the costs we plan to incur in the future. The real kicker is you can’t control how the pregnancy and delivery goes, or how healthy the child is. A lot of unknowns and most people just go on a wing and a prayer.

The Digerati Life ponders if there is ever a good time to start a business. My answer is yes, there is always a good time to start a business even in recessions. In recessions one would expect some businesses to close or liquidate, offering an excellent time to purchase materials on the cheap and get started. Any time you can provide something of value that others will purchase, you’re ready to open shop.

Thanks to both of these carnival hosts for including my posts this week:

Steve @ brip blap December 2, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for the mention! You’re absolutely right that there are a lot of costs, pre-and-post natal, that my wife and I didn’t think about and (thankfully) have yet to encounter – although my son had a serious allergy problem that meant we had to buy exceptionally expensive hypoallergenic formula since he couldn’t breastfeed.

I do love my kids, and we had a couple knowing the cost in terms of money. My hope was that people just realize the pitfalls that are possible and think sooner rather than later about how to avoid them.

The Digerati Life December 3, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the link as well! I had the same issue with my kid as Steve has had. We had to buy that same hypoallergenic formula. And man, that stuff was not pleasant… 😉 . I didn’t like kids until I had them. Now they’re the greatest things that happened in our lives.

Kevin December 5, 2008 at 10:06 am

@Steve: Geez, I wonder how common the hypoallergenic stuff is? Everything better now?

@TDL: I’m guessing that’s what most people say. I’m hoping I’m the same when the time comes. 🙂

Steve @ brip blap December 5, 2008 at 10:37 am

It’s a creeping health problem in the US – allergies. More and more severe allergies are showing up in newborns. My son couldn’t handle ANYTHING – breastmilk, formula, pedialite, and he lost a lot of weight the first few weeks, which was very scary. So obviously spending the money on the hypoallergenic formula wasn’t even a consideration – I would have paid 10 times what I did – but it was VERY expensive.

However, modern tech being what it is, the hypoallergenic stuff got him back on track and now he’s a VERY tall (albeit a bit skinny) toddler with no apparent problem eating anything, other than toddler pickiness.

And I agree with TDL – the hypoallergenic stuff smells like rotted meat or something – it was AWFUL. I’ll have to give my son some when he’s 10 or something and see if he remembers drinking it.

Kevin December 7, 2008 at 7:45 pm

That’s interesting. I wonder if the “all organic” folks are seeing as many allergy problems?

Steve @ brip blap December 8, 2008 at 8:29 am

Honestly, probably not as many problems, but I doubt there’s exhaustive proof of that. I know that I couldn’t drink milk for years – upset my stomach- but since we switched to organic I can manage a little with my cereal. A lot of allergies may be environmental – we live in an urban environment with a lot of airborne toxins (not something I’m crazy about).

After that scare, though, we took our already quite-low-on-junk-food diet and altered even more in favor of organics, especially dairy, egg and meat and ground veggies (potatoes, onions, etc.) Did it help? Dunno. Seems too – we get sick a lot less than most families around us seem to – but my son’s dairy sensitivity and seemingly a nut sensitivity are still there (I’m allergic to peanuts, too).

Go figure. Allergies are not well understood.