New Year, New Blog Design for No Debt Plan

by Kevin on January 2, 2009

My wife and I technically missed New Years Eve last night. We live in the Central Time Zone and were under the impression that the local TV stations would re-air the ball dropping at midnight our time. That impression was incorrect and we were left wanting (until we found it on YouTube).

Nonetheless, 2009 is here. It’s been great thus far — we’re still on vacation! Reality will give us a good kick come Monday. I’ve never had two weeks off of work so I’m prepared for a painful reentry to my job.

Nonetheless, you should be looking at the new blog design for No Debt Plan. As I write this it is currently a bit past midnight on January 2nd, 2009. A New Year has come in bringing with it a new design.

I thought about waiting until my blogging anniversary (or is it No Debt Plan’s birthday?) on January 18th to reveal this, but… what can I say? I’ve never been accused of being patient.

Here’s the really important kicker. I’m working with a new theme here. I tested everything out on a different installation of WordPress. Inevitably, I have missed something here or there within the theme design that just doesn’t look correct. Could you leave a comment and let me know?

Also, I want to know what you think of the new theme. Is it better than the previous rendition (seen below, click for larger)? If my readers think this design isn’t up to par I need to know.

ndpversion1

Again, thanks for reading in 2008. I look forward to us all growing together over the coming year.

Matt SF January 2, 2009 at 1:40 am

Nice design, but a few things are a little off (I’m using Firefox).

The “featured stories” plugin looks like it’s in the incorrect spot on top of the article.

There are 2 search bars… one is located correctly in the top right 3rd column, but you’ve got another one in the top left over the main article.

Lazy Man and Money January 2, 2009 at 2:07 am

It thanked me as a Stumble user, but I came from Twitter.

Christina @ Northern Cheapskate January 2, 2009 at 7:19 am

I like the new look! I’m also looking at it in Firefox, but I don’t see the same issues that the previous poster made… Looks great to me!

Philip January 2, 2009 at 8:53 am

Not a bad change, again a couple more things. First when you click the title of your blog I think it should go back to the home page, it did before. Second the link at the top for Privacy and Affiliate Policy ends up as 2 lines and the white goes into the black area, looks odd. Next, the blogroll on the bottom is tucked away in all the legalese and is very likely to not be noticed at all. Lastly I only see the featured stories on the article pages not the home page, not sure if this is intended or not.

I am using IE6 btw if that is a difference for you.

headknocker January 2, 2009 at 10:04 am

Checked out the new theme in both IE6 and FF3. My only real concern is that at 1024×768 and my browser set to maximum, I still get a horizontal scroll bar. Also, the text is all the way up against the right side of the window. I like a little padding/margin there.

I don’t see the second search bar, but maybe you have already corrected that problem. 😉

Steve in Denmark January 2, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Looks fine in Safari. Like the orange bits.

Matt SF January 2, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Looks good now… I saw it just after you posted last night so maybe a few bugs were still present. I like the orange/black contrast.

Kevin January 2, 2009 at 4:09 pm

@Matt: Yea, you caught me late last night trying to place the search box in a better area. I’m still looking. 🙂

@LMM: I’m using a plugin that doesn’t determine where you’re coming from, so it’s a static message. I’ll look into changing it.

@Christina: Thanks for stopping by!

@Philip: Yea I put the blogroll there. Not sure where else to put it. I don’t use blogrolls very often when I visit other blogs so I’m curious how many other people use it. I moved the privacy statement to the bottom in the footer.

@headknocker: Thanks for the feedback. I may knock off a few pixels and drop it to 1020 in width to see if that fixes things. The featured stories is intentional… for now. Thinking of adding the related articles plugin.

@Steve: Thanks!

OneAdvice January 6, 2009 at 4:23 am

Loving the new design – Keep up the good work.