Don’t Let Your Goals Be Dumb

by Kevin on January 7, 2009

It’s the new year and everyone around the web is declaring goals for 2009. But before we start to define every goal, we need a basic framework.

There are two types of goals. D.U.M.B. goals and S.M.A.R.T. goals. SMART is an actual term taught in various classes; I was first introduced to it in a management class in college. I’m making up the dumb goals acronym myself.

DUMB goals:

• Delusional – your goal is completely unrealistic.
  • Undefined – your goal is vague and lacks any type of structure.
  • Mediocre – your goal is easy to achieve and doesn’t represent a true challenge.
  • Boring – your goal isn’t something you can stay committed to acheiving because it doesn’t really interest you.

Dumb goals are… dumb. You won’t find success if your goals remain dumb. Instead, you should be using smart goals.

SMART goals:

• Specific – answers multiple questions about the goal to provide specifics (think of the Ws: who, what, when, where, etc.)
  • Measurable – the goal is measurable. “I will save $1,000 in four months” can be measured. “Save money the next four months” is not measurable.
  • Attainable – is the goal something you can actually achieve? I’m going to go out on a limb and say that “Save $1,000,000 in 30 days” is not attainable for every single reader of this blog.
  • Realistic – this is similar to attainable. Is this goal something you are willing and able to work toward?
  • Time-bound – the goal has a time frame (which also helps in measurement). Saying you want to save a specific amount of money by an unspecific amount of time greatly increases the chances you will land short of your goal.

I think this is a pretty easy concept to understand. You don’t necessarily have to remember the specific acronyms. Just remember that goals shouldn’t be vague. Layers of detail will help you put one foot in front of the other on your march to success.

Get Your Tax and Financial Questions Answered for Free
January 7, 2009 at 8:57 am
Weekly Roundup - Exercise Edition : Cash Money Life
January 11, 2009 at 8:55 am

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

MoneyGrubbingLawyer January 7, 2009 at 7:31 am

I like the DUMB acronym. It seems like the majority of the resolutions I hear fit into one or more of those categories!

Kevin January 7, 2009 at 8:14 am

That MGL. I like it too and I hadn’t seen D.U.M.B. anywhere else. Time to write a book and hit the jackpot!

No More Student Loans January 7, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Great post! I could defintely use this.

sex toys kansas city April 25, 2011 at 5:08 am

“Word can clarify our thoughts, but there are numerous imagined that can’t be explained. I am sure in discussing some projects, we are 1 group, we have now only a single brain, and also a person thoughts. So, it is difficult to us to work in concert, besides we are “clicked”. Comprehensively, with comparing and learning a lot of tasks, I understand that not most men and women implement distinctive and clear style and design. But that you are the most effective a person, you gave me the most critical thing to grow to be accomplishment and that i discovered “jewelry”. “Jewelry” I meant is you. You’re likely designer, prospective net programmer, that you are artistic individuals, and that i consider you to turn out to be my group to build or develop some long term task in my corporations. If you do not thoughts, it is possible to chat with me, so I can predict your possible and enormous skills. I’m welcome to do that. Given that you are probably the most famous particular person that I knew, it can be excellent to let you know for recruitment system might be held as soon as probable.”

——————————————————————–