This Weekend’s Couponing Mistakes and Successes

by Kevin on February 16, 2009

This weekend we ran into some couponing issues as well as avoided a deal. We are chalking that avoidance up as a success.

Avoiding a CVS “Deal”

As you know this weekend included Valentine’s Day. We didn’t do anything outrageous, but we did spend all of Saturday together doing various things — including running some errands.

We grabbed a 40 pound bag of dog food at PetsMart for $10 less than normal — we had a $5 coupon and it was already $5 off when you used your “Petsaver” card. $10 is about 25% off — I’ll take that all day long.

Then we ran up to CVS. We had a $5 ECB, a $1 ECB, and a $4 coupon via e-mail when you spend $20 or more. We were trying to get over the $20 hump. This week CVS had a Nivea body wash deal — $3 ECB when you buy three. We figured it would get us to about $10-11, figuring they cost about $3 or so each. We also had a $1 manufacturer’s coupon.

My wife was going to pick up some other items using coupons. We were ready to save a ton of money and get some items we would use.

That is until my wife noted that the body wash was $5 each. Woah. It was a big bottle, something like 16 ounces or so, but $5 just seemed a bit pricey to us. Even if we had just done the body wash deal we would be spending $9 out of pocket ($15 – $6 in ECB = $9). That’s still $3/bottle which is what we were expecting to pay in the first place!

So we passed. We’ve still got the ECBs to use before March 8th, but we’re in no rush. We want to maximize the money we save from the deals. Patience is key.

We Wasted $2

On the flip side of the coin, we made a mistake this weekend. On Sunday we stopped by the grocery store and picked up a couple of items including a Sunday paper. The Sunday paper is always full of coupons that we use for future purchases. We paid for everything and drove home.

When we got home I opened up the paper to start going through all of the flyers to clip out coupons.

Except there was a problem.

There were no coupons.

All of the store ads were included, but the manufacturer’s coupons were not to be found. I even drove to a gas station close to our house to see if the papers there had coupons, and they were empty to. What gives?

So that was frustrating. We essentially wasted $2 on paper. At least we can use the paper in our charcoal grill in the summer!

Chrissy February 16, 2009 at 8:43 am

No coupons this week because of the holiday!

ki February 16, 2009 at 10:37 am
Momma @ 3princessesmomma.com February 16, 2009 at 11:02 am

Hey there! To keep this from happening, I always check the annual Coupon Insert Schedule to verify which holidays won’t be getting the coupon inserts. You can view it here for 2009: http://www.grocerycouponguide.com/articles/2009-coupon-insert-schedule/

A reminder, though… Proctor & Gamble put out their coupon inserts the first weekend of the month whether there is a holiday or not.

[email protected] February 16, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Odd about the coupons. I’ve noticed lately that the freebie newspaper that shows up unsolicited hasn’t had any coupons in it for the last few weeks. They do have the store flyers, just as you found. I have no idea what’s up with that.

Ken February 16, 2009 at 9:23 pm

You have got to be a coupon groupie to know this. My wife is on this groupie ..my wife just told me that this info is at http://www.southernsavers.com it’s a site about coupons and what sales are going on…give it a try. Look for 2009 Coupon Insert Schedule.

DEBT FREE JOURNEY February 17, 2009 at 5:14 am

I just stumbled on your site this morning while browsing through my daily blog readings and had to comment on this article! We, too, buy the Sunday paper for the coupons. I was patiently waiting for my dear hubby to hand over the coupon section so that I could start clipping, file and planning our weekly menu. When he never handed anything over, I asked him what was taking him so long and he nicely told me that THERE WERE NO COUPONS! I thought we had gotten ripped off! I guess noone received coupons this past Sunday! BUMMER! Oh well, thought it was funny and just had to comment! You can visit me at my blog at debtfreethroughchristwhostrengthensme.blogspot.com

GOD BLESS!

DEBT FREE JOURNEY

Kevin February 22, 2009 at 4:10 pm

@Chrissy: Ohhh… boo.

@ki: You rock my world. I also found that over on a thread at HotCouponWorld.

@Momma: Would have been good to know. Lesson learned. Good to know about P&G! So for example, the July 4th paper will still have P&G? I suppose we should just look for them…

@Ken: Found that site doing some research. Looks good.

@Debt Free Journey: Yea, always good to know you aren’t alone.