There are no big secrets in personal finance. Here’s a list of ways you can learn many secrets…
- …understanding how to stop living paycheck to paycheck – probably one of the most important things we have done in our financial life.
- …why credit card rewards aren’t paid with the interest other credit card users pay — I hate this lie that people tell to keep people from earning money with credit cards.
- …understanding the difference between depreciating and appreciating assets (and don’t buy depreciating assets on credit)
- …to negotiating a service discount (I saved $175 over 11 months with our TV service provider — and I’m about to switch insurance companies to save over $200 per year!)
- …to facing up to your own internal excuses — this goes hand in hand with the above post. Stop making excuses. Excuses are costing you money. Make the calls you need to make to save money on the services you use.
- …earning $1,020 from a $20 investment. I’ve earned over $200 in a short amount of time with these referrals. I still have some available — if you need one, just leave a comment.
- …to understanding why active mutual funds cost too much — Seriously. You have two options. Pay $0.07 for every $100 you have invested, or pay $1. The end results are the same except you save a ton of money on investment fees.
- …to understanding why daily percentage gains may not be as large as you thought — if the market rebounds 11% after dropping 11% the previous day, we’re back to even, right? Wrong.
- …to asking for fee-forgiveness from a credit card or service company — We made a big mistake, but were able to get all of the fees wiped away.
- …to creating a home inventory documentation and why you should do it — this documentation is key if your home burns down because you can prove you owned what you really owned.
- …why Dave Ramsey’s math doesn’t work out (but I still like him!)
- …earning $400 per year in free cash back
- …understanding why you should rebalance your investments (and how Target Retirement Funds make that easy)
- …to surviving May without using the air conditioner — it was hot, but we saved money.
- …how NOT to become a millionaire in 10 easy steps — it’s really this simple!
- …to retiring with $1 million — consistent investment and starting early are the keys.
- …to wasting money on old weed killer (d’oh! NEVER do this!)
- …to saving money with the drug store game — we are finally starting to see rewards from the money we invested up front
A long list for sure. And there are more secrets to be learned — I hope to continue sharing them with you for years to come.