Have You Received Your State Tax Refund?

by Kevin on April 3, 2009

(Photo by Dave Apple)

The State of Alabama makes me angry.

We filed our taxes electronically on February 16th. We owed the federal government, and the state of Alabama owed us. The feds took our money immediately as you would expect them to. (Yes, I know we could have scheduled the payment for later, but come on let’s just make this easy.) Alabama accepted our return immediately.

But they haven’t paid us. It’s been a month and a half. Nothing back electronically into our bank account.

The Hypocrisy of Our Tax System

Let me get this right. If I owed the state money they would want me to pay it immediately. If I went past the tax deadline they would even consider charging me interest and fees until I paid. Why? They are essentially floating me a loan.

And I understand that. If I owe someone money I should pay it and be done with it.

Yet when the government (state or federal) owes me money I am not allowed to charge them interest or fees. I am floating the government a loan and getting nothing in return.

We aren’t talking a huge amount of money here. Less than $1,000. But it is the principle of the thing here folks.

Next year we should file our taxes on the last possible day and thumb our noses at the government. Frankly I find this all ridiculous. (And I would vote and campaign for anyone who put something on the state law books about being able to charge the government money. But you and I know that will never happen.)

Hey Alabama. You owe me money. Give it to me. Please.

Anyone else out there waiting on their state (or even the feds) to pay them back?

{ 69 comments… read them below or add one }

keri April 3, 2009 at 8:19 am

I’m glad to see this post to know my husband and I aren’t the only ones waiting for our state tax refund. We got our federal refund exactly as scheduled according to the return calendar online and it took 2 weeks. We were waiting for 2 state refunds (NC and CA) and it took NC a MONTH to send us our $248 dollars by direct deposit. CA still hasn’t shown up and they owe us a bit more, about double at $550.

It seems to be this year only, last year we were paid within 2 weeks. Recession related? Maybe. I know CA has ran out of money to pay us back so I’m not even expecting to get our money back.

Baker @ ManVsDebt April 3, 2009 at 9:19 am

I help file taxes here in Indiana, and unless there is a red flag or other problem with the return they are processed in 3-4 days. Of course the middle of January and the middle of April are the busiest times. I can’t imagine waiting a month and a half. My guess is that they have it in some kind of holding system because of a perceived error.

Steve @ Start-Up April 3, 2009 at 10:51 am

I filed both federal and state on the same day. I was owed money by both. I got my state refund within the week and my federal refund within two weeks. Maybe Alabama is just backwards. I can understand your frustration though.

Alison@This Wasn't In The Plan April 3, 2009 at 4:03 pm

We are not waiting for the state to pay us, they are actually going to wait until the bitter end for us to pay them.

Mike @ TheThriftyLife April 3, 2009 at 5:24 pm

By all means, why would you do anything other than hold on to your money until it’s due. Since we’re not able to make money in the form of interest on money that’s withheld, if you owed money, why would you pay your taxes early? Hold on to the money and earn the interest for as long as you can.

And remember! If you’re getting a return go back and adjust your WITHHOLDING to make sure you don’t run into the same problem again! It’s your money first.

Ray April 3, 2009 at 8:22 pm

You know me and my wife are about in the same boat, we filed in early Feb and both Fed and Alabama owed us money, the federal came in on time without trouble, the state wanted proof of my deductions (which with my job were mainly unpaid mileage). I submitted all the documents they needed and its been almost a month later…they haven’t paid us and haven’t contacted us. I do believe that they’re mad that I didn’t claim EVERYTHING I could have and that they actually have to pay us now, but how long does this process really take!?

Jason Zandri April 3, 2009 at 8:47 pm

You could live in California and be getting an IOU:

Diane April 3, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Wow – I’m surprised to learn that Alabama is actually behind Louisiana on this one.

I filed State & Federal on together (using TurboTax). To my amazement, the State refund was deposited in 5 days! The Federal refund was deposited within 14 days, as stated.

I’d be upset if my refund were delayed that much. Does Alabama have a way to track your refund and check it out?

Mike @ TheThriftyLife April 4, 2009 at 6:34 am

Without knowing the facts you can’t state that Alabama is behind anyone or that Louisiana is faster. His return may have been delayed for anyone of a number of valid reasons. Maybe it triggered some sort of manual review, maybe its the dreaded A word – AUDIT – only the state actually knows…

Diane April 4, 2009 at 9:38 am

@Mike @ TheThriftyLife – Sorry, that was actually meant more as a joke than it sounded, as Louisiana tends to be behind in nearly everything.

I was truly amazed that my State refund came through so quickly.

I hope the delay of refund is not due to an audit…

headknocker April 4, 2009 at 5:39 pm

For the very first time, I actually had to pay federal tax this year ($172) but am getting a little over $1K back from the state of Virginia.

I scheduled my federal payment to go out on April 7, so I am holding it as long as ‘safely’ possible. However, I haven’t received my state refund as of yet. Both returns were accepted on March 27, so this Friday will be 2 weeks.

Kevin April 4, 2009 at 6:26 pm

@Everyone: I’m writing an update post to go live tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

@keri: Glad I’m not alone, too.

@Baker: Oh that makes me feel just great…

@Steve: Alabama as a whole is not as bad as it is perceived, I think, but in this case…

@Alison: Hopefully you don’t owe too much!

@Mike: Because the interest we would earn in our ING account (1.5%) is so small because the amount of money is so small… it makes sense just to pay it just so I can stop thinking about it. You disagree?

@Ray: Check my post tomorrow for an update.

@Jason: Yet another reason not to live in California! That’s what happens when your housing market goes up 25% per year then suddenly crashes.

@Diane: There is a way to see if it was accepted via e-file, but no way to track my specific return. Seriously. What year is it? 2009? Yea. I’m sure they are running on DOS…

@headknocker: We probably should have scheduled it later as well to try and get our refund back first, but it’s too late to cry over that now. Hopefully we get it soon.

Paul April 5, 2009 at 7:21 am

I have the same problem as others here in Alabama with the refund being delayed. I did find the following website that will let you check your status. They estimate 6 – 8 weeks after approval.

GrannyAnnie April 5, 2009 at 7:45 pm

We filed in Feb also. We were getting a refund from both the Fed and Alabama. Fed sent the refund within 2 weeks. Alabama just sent our refund this last week. Hang in there. It’s coming. At least we don’t live in California!

tp April 6, 2009 at 11:46 am

After hearing about CA, I filed my taxes 3/5/09. Feds gave me my refund within 2 weeks. NC has yet to pay. I’m glad to know I am not the only one whose 2 week estimated time of payment was completely bogus.

Connie April 9, 2009 at 10:36 am

Checking the Alamaba Dept. of Rev. website–we may not get our refunds even in the 6-8 weeks since they say that they will pay as funds become available in the Education Trust Fund. I’m beginning to think we could all start our own “stimulus package” and claim 99 dependents for a short time and the state and fed would be up the creek without our money to play with.
Let’s face it, the entire income tax system is outdated and broken1

Margaret April 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm

We e-filed both federal and Alabama taxes on February 26. The federal refund was in our bank account 8 days later; the Alabama refund arrived in our account early this morning – six weeks to the day.

Just yesterday, the “Where’s My Refund” status at the AL. Department of Revenue site read “Your refund check has been issued. You should receive your refund in approximately 58 days. However, please be aware that this is only an estimate and we cannot guarantee that you will receive your refund within this timeframe.”

I’ve read that other people received a 29-day message. However, if it’s being direct deposited, apparently it shows up pretty soon after you get that kind of message.

Nathan April 14, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I e-filed on Feb. 5th with turbotax. Received federal and MS State refunds promptly, but have yet to get my direct deposit for my AL state refund. It’s been over 2 months for me.

monique April 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm

I filed my AL taxes Feb 4Th and still nothing. Got the message on the web site saying 58 days and nothing and i filed it to go to my bank account. I checked again it says “due course of business” still nothing. my refund is only $1400 and they expect people who owe to pay by the 4/15 but we don’t get the same in return. where is our refund it’s my money, so whats the deal? I do see that I’m not alone. Why is this not in the news? I have wrote the Governor two weeks ago and no response! What gives?

MikeB April 16, 2009 at 9:22 am

I filled E-Filled on Feb. 15, on March 26 I received a letter dated March 20 stating that they needed further information and to send a copy of my 1099 along with the letter, I immediately sent them the information on March 26 and called on April 2nd and they verified they received the info.

The message on the web site has had 3 different messages the first saying 8 to 26 weeks the next one 6 to 8 weeks when approved, now they don’t even give you a time other then they are extremely slow this year no mention of how long we will have to wait.

Ray April 20, 2009 at 7:10 pm

As an update I have still not heard from AL yet, the provided website (better than dealing with the phone system) says it’s still being processed. I think everyone in AL who has not gotten their refund show notify the local press to their area and all of us should complain to CNN and Fox news…you know how the government hates to have bad public light. I’m beginning to think anyone who gets back more than $100 from AL is being looked at since my “basic return” without itemizing I owed about $200! I agree with so many of you on “having to pay by the 15th, but making us wait until whenever”. I claim 0 all year long and now I have to wait to get the overpayment back?! of course if I claimed 3 like I could I would probably owe money.

Julie April 21, 2009 at 6:57 am

We filed the second week in Feb, using e-filing. Our federal refund was in the bank exactly 7 days later,our Alabama refund was approved within 10 days, but first we got the “due course of business” message,then the refunds should be received with in 6-8 weeks message,now the message is this years refunds are taking longer than expected and they are being disbursed as available from the state’s education trust fund but tax payers are in line behind the state’s elementary, then secondary, then college system for the money. I saw a press release that says that by law the state has until July 21st to hold the money as needed before they have to start paying us interest on our money. So there’s really no telling WHEN we will get it. It is SO infuriating!!! At this point, I don’t really see how our situation is any different than California,except that I guess some people are slowly getting their refunds.

Lauren April 24, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I actually called the contact number on the Alabama DOR website and spoke to a person about the refund and told them that I filed at the beginning of February and still had not received my refund. They forwarded me to a different department and I was told that they have no idea when refunds will be disbursed. My mother lives in Alabama and has already received her state refund which was only about $200…but mine is nearly $700. With the stimulus money that Gov. Riley accepted and put in the education fund we should be moved to the top of the list…if you ask me, which nobody did…

Julie April 25, 2009 at 6:23 pm

yeah,I friend of mine filed the same time we did and they got their refund within 7 days (it was for $300) Ours was for close to $1000 so that is probably the hold up,which is BS. And its no comfort that last year there was an error on our return and we filed an ammended return which resulted in a refund of what we paid plus some…it took them 10 months to get it to us…minus the interest and penalties we were suppose to get with it. I agree,weshouldgo tot the top of the list…first come,first served, not cheapest served first,costliest left twisting in the wind.And irony of all ironies…our refund is going toward our daugter’s tuition at the University of Alabama!

Jack May 1, 2009 at 8:25 am

Ditto here. We filed electronically on Feb 5th. Federal refund was direct deposited 12 days later. Our $1800 state refund? No where in sight – 13 weeks later. Read somewhere that there were only 5 folks working in the review departement for Alabama state tax returns?? Look, I understand the whole thing about the state needing to provide funds for the educational trust fund and all – but we ALSO need the additional cash for some crucial bills at my house. The system is poorly structured, the “status” line is a joke, and the delay without any real communication is a pitiful way to treat the taxpayers in Alabama.

Kevin May 3, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Sounds like a lot of people are still missing out on their refunds. Not sure what to make of this. They technically have until June or July to pay them out. Sucks. No other way to write it.

Julie May 4, 2009 at 3:20 pm

FINALLY got ours today! Took almost 3 months but we have it!Now,time to re-evaluate our deductions to prevent this from happening again next year!

Valarie May 5, 2009 at 7:13 am

My state taxes have been approved since 3/10/09. I finally today recevied a message saying “Your refund check has been issued. You should receive your refund in approximately 58 days. However, please be aware that this is only an estimate and we cannot guarantee that you will receive your refund within this timeframe.” How can they get away with this? Has anyone got this message and actually got a check yet?

Anita May 5, 2009 at 7:55 am

We filed electronically (TurboTax) on Feb 15 and our Alabama return was accepted on Feb 18. We rec’d our Federal refund in 14 days (direct deposit). I called State of Alabama DOR’s local office (Birmingham) on April 3, who told me that it had been approved on March 27 and that we MIGHT receive our refund the last week of April, after others pay on April 15. I called yesterday (May 4) to the same # and was told it had been approved on April 15, that it had to be manually reviewed. Each time I call, I get a different excuse. Our refund is $1350, direct deposit. I assume that anyone who has rec’d their refund isn’t looking for answers online. The ADOR website for Where’s My Refund is a joke and should be updated daily, it should indicate the ACTUAL STATUS of your refund, not a generic message. I wonder what the Governor would do if he had to wait on his money? Of course, a lottery for our schools, roads and our government funding, in his opinion, is out of the question. Is there anyone who has received a CORRECT answer to the status of their Alabama refund?

monique May 5, 2009 at 9:17 pm

i wrote earlyier,
approve on feb4th and got my return today, maybe this will help to figure out when you all might get yours. i really hope i dont have this problem next year. 3 months almost to the day

Angel May 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I filed my return the fourth week in January! Yeah…January! I have yet to receive my alabama state return. I got my my federal within two weeks after I filed! My sister, brother-n-law, and me have yet to receive our state return, my brother-n-law filed the first week in January, my siser filed two weeks after I did! I haven’t received anything saying that I need to submit more information, which I don’t think I would; considering I have already received my federal! Good luck guys!

Lisa May 12, 2009 at 5:32 am

Yeppers….another Alabama story on a different day. I file mid February and got fed in 2 weeks and state was approved. But I have had all the messages spoke to numorous people on the phone and nothing seems to help. They start paying interest July 15th. I don’t want their interest I want my MONEY and I want it NOW!! Can we start a revolt?

Kevin May 12, 2009 at 7:28 am

Wow, this comment thread continues to grow. I can’t believe there are still some people out there that haven’t received their refund.

I think the middle of June (21st?) is the deadline for the state to pay you back. I’d imagine they would have to pay by then.

Learn a good lesson here –> adjust your withholdings so you aren’t owed a refund next year.

latasha May 18, 2009 at 9:55 am

I call the hotline I checked the website, a few months ago I got the 8 to 12 weeks message now I’m getting there is a system error and the phone systems is down. We are active duty and just forund out that we should not be paying taxes

Wendy May 18, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I am a last minute filer and this year was no different. In the past I have received my Alabama refund within two weeks direct deposit. This year I have not received my refund yet. We are at 5 weeks and counting. Hopefully I will see it next week.

Lisa May 19, 2009 at 5:53 am

Ok,,,,thought I was on my way, Got a message on the web that I was approved on 4-10 (filed in Feb) and my deposit would be in 6 weeks. Now they are saying in due course because they have no money again. Well this is my money they are playing with …and YES Kevin I know I should change withholding but that is beside the point right now. I want and need MY money to do as I wish. Let the state make a loan from someone to get their monies!!

Thomas May 20, 2009 at 8:27 am

Filed in March before dead line, have yet to receive refund from the state of Alabama, but the Federal wasted no time in cashing my check for what was owed. It does seem pretty unfair to me. You owe them they want it now, they owe you and they hold on to it till they get ready and nothing is done or said about it.

Kyler May 21, 2009 at 7:41 am

Can I jump in on this bandwagon? I filed in mid Feb…still waiting. I owed federal $500 and was planning on using the money from NC and AL to pay those taxes….well NC also ran out of money so I just got that one last week. Checked the AL website and it basically said, “Thanks for filing…we’ll try to get you your money before you die.” AL is such a piece of work. I work hard (50-70 hr weeks), pay my taxes like most, support those who can’t work ….and then…when it’s time to get money back, I get a giant middle finger with a “thanks-for-working-but-i-can’t-pay-you-now”. UGH!

I say that all of us who haven’t received refunds yet should go sit on the steps in Birmingham and camp out until we get our cash. Or maybe go knock on our lovely govenor’s door and ask if they can spare to feed us dinner since we don’t have a refund to buy food, pay our bills, pay the feds, or do whatever else we need to do with it. This is absolutely ridiculous!!

LPJ May 6, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Nor is it only those states. Inspiring to hear I am not alone, yet twice as frustrating. For all left to wonder “what now?” while those holding the purse are missing no meals…hang in there. And make known your displeasure where it matters -with Your money.

Lisa May 21, 2009 at 8:45 am

I think if I go sit on the steps … I will go to Montgomery!! uuuummmm….I think that is where they are written…. I know that is where I call and I know that is where the govenor lives…..are you sure you are from Alabama!!

Deric May 21, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Same Story – file alabama taxes april 5th – no problem with federal – same problem as last year with alabama – website says an error has occurred yet when i called the number 334 242 1099 i did get a polite gentleman who informed me it was reviewed today and that i should get the refund in 6 -8 weeks – wow – had the same problem last year – why cant the state of alabama get it right ?>??????????

Lisa May 21, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Deric…don’t get tooooo excited. I called yesterday and also go a very polite man that told be I would have mine in 6-8 and I filed in Feb. Just don’t count your pennies before they are in the bank.

Lisa May 27, 2009 at 5:37 am

NEW MESSAGE ALERT!! NEW MESSAGE ALERT!!

Your refund check has been issued.

Now I had my check dd so is it going to take 58 days to get to my bank account…I hope not!!

Will keep you posted!!!

MikeB May 27, 2009 at 8:31 am

Yesterday I checked the Where is my tax web site and the Message changed to “Your refund check has been issued. You should receive your refund in approximately 58 days.Blah! Blah Blah! This morning I checked my bank account and it was in there. I hope the rest of you get yours soon, I know how much all of you can use it in these bad times. The rest of my story is up several post.

Good luck to you all.

Stephanie May 27, 2009 at 1:05 pm

I mailed my Indiana State Tax Forms on February 26th. I received an email, in mid March, stating they received my forms. As of 2:55pm today, the site and telephone recording state my forms have been received but have not completed processing. I elected to have direct deposit and assumed it would be quicker than the normal 12 week process when filers use “snail mail”….Boy was I wrong. How do you take the email address from the tax forms, and inform me you’ve received them, and two months later it’s still not processed!? I’m glad to know I’m not alone in my waiting, but this is not the year to “take their sweet time” with my refund! I’m going to take your advice Kevin…adjust my withholdings!

Devin June 4, 2009 at 8:25 am

I think the saddest part of all is that we elect people to be “public servants” – public servants that make way more than the average guy (Hello…that’s me waving my hand) – then once they get into office it seems like it doesn’t matter anymore. How can you care about people that you don’t know, never see, and have little to zero connection with. I bet all the “public servants received their refunds and tax stuff back immediately. I have been waiting pretty much forever, but is there anyone I call and talk to…I’m sure there is, but how do find them? And if I find them how long will have to listen to on-hold muzac before I reach someone substantial? The world is a lying world. I don’t expect integrity from it. Like gas prices, for instance. No matter how you slice it, those running the gas on the top don’t care at all about the American people…not one bit. They, unlike Jesus, would never sacrifice their enormous billion dollar per quarter profit to make it easier on us – so that we might be blessed – so that the morale of their own countrymen my benefit. I know this was just suppose to be a brief comment about taxes, but I see it a bit differently than just taxes. It’s an entire system trying to work outside of godly principles…welcome to America…this is what you get:)

Gina Browne June 9, 2009 at 9:45 am

We filed our Alabama taxes early Feb. We got a notice March 30 saying they didn’t recieve the W2 so I resent it. In may the site said the return has been processed, we will recieve funds in 8-12 weeks. Now, in June it just says it is being processed. I am not a happy camper! They can’t tell me anything else. It’s just not fair, we really need ours and it’s owed to us. I think they should have a deadline just like we do and if they don’t meet us they should be penalized. I seen where they have to pay interest starting July 15th but I’m sure it’s not the same as what we would have to pay. And I don’t doubt they have run out of money like they did a few years back. I’m just sick of them and the way they work!

Laurel June 10, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I’m in Alabama, my husband and I owed Federal Taxes, which we paid on March 13th, the same day we filed our state taxes. it took a month for the state taxes to be processed, but it is now June 10th and we still haven’t received our refund electronically. When we check online, we get the following message: “Your refund was approved 5/8/2009. Refunds are issued from the Education Trust Fund as fund balances allow. Thank you for your patience and please be assured the ADOR is doing everything possible to expedite your refund’s approval and issuance.”
It’s ridiculous that it’s taking so long. Like some have commented on here, if we owe money, we are expected to pay it in a timely manner!!

christine June 15, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Kevin, who are you anyway; Bob’s BFF. Alabama keeps the refunds as long as the law allows so that they can collect interest on all of that money for as long as they can. They do it every year and then they so graciously pour it into their school systems. HA!!!!

Kyler June 16, 2009 at 6:17 am

Yea! It arrived! I filed on Apr. 15th (nothing like procrastination, huh?). Federal came in on time, N. Carolina came in about 2 weeks ago, Alabama was deposited into my account last night. Keep holding the faith…..it’s coming in…VERY SLOWLY.

doug grissom June 23, 2009 at 8:06 am

I mailed my indiana tax returns on FEB. 6th and have yet to receive mine. The website says it has not been processed yet. I emailed them and they told me to remail and write duplicate on them. They never told me if they received them. BS

doug grissom June 23, 2009 at 8:07 am

“Your 2008 tax year refund has not been processed as of this date. Please allow 12 weeks from the date your return was mailed.” This is what the website says, does that mean they have received it and have yet to process??

sam July 1, 2009 at 9:34 am

We have been waiting for our state of Alabama refund for three months. We also filed electronically.

sam July 1, 2009 at 9:45 am

We filed our state of alabama taxes on April 7, 2009, electronically. as of July 1, 2009, we haven’t received it or heard anything. We filed our Fed the same day and received it in 3 weeks.

Tony July 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

After reading all the comments I feel it is quite unjust to make law abiding, tax paying Alabama residents wait so long for thier refunds. I filed electronically March 17th and still no refund. It is not a huge amount of money but my wife and I were going to use the refund for our vacation at the end of July.
If we do not receive our refund before July 24th we will be forced to cancel our vacation. The State of Alabama in my opinion should not only give us our refund but the money we have paid for our upcoming vacation if we do indeed have to cancel…….I know this will never happen but to the “State of Alabama” shame on you!

sam July 6, 2009 at 9:01 am

This is July 6, and I am still waiting and haven’t heard a word.
Sam

Curly July 6, 2009 at 12:31 pm

July 6th, filed late January, and still no return. website says it’s being processed for the last 3 months.

Me July 6, 2009 at 4:13 pm

WOW….I am afraid to say this here, but I got mine back quickly….I filed on Jan 22 and got my refund in my checking acct on Feb 6…..

Sam July 7, 2009 at 8:31 am

Me, You were one of the ones who filed before the money ran out.

Sam July 7, 2009 at 8:34 am

I have checked and my Fed was received in 14 days and it was filed the same day as my state’s

shane July 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I personally think that it is so pitiful that those poor incompetent people keep getting elected to office.They always want more money from us.When will it be enough?My refund is not much but it sure could help.I think that, rather i should hope that the people of this state and country will wake up.What good is served by electing the same (public servants) who only want to pad their own pockets and pass rediculous bills and waste our money!While we wait on the scraps like a bunch of starving dogs trying to survive.

sam July 29, 2009 at 9:47 am

I finally received my refund on July 17th. It took nearly four months to get it.

D December 1, 2009 at 7:36 am

AL is awful with respect to managing money. The taxes come out of an education trust fund. I have no problem with helping public schools but I do have a problem with helping the universities. Univ of AL just did a massive building project on campus…including a new wing to the stadium (with luxury boxes) and since that was not enough, another expansion of the stadium. This drained millions from taxpayers. No assistance given to students in need or taxpayers in need of refunds. The only (minor) consolation is that you get interest on any refund not paid within 90 days. This is nothing. Overall, AL needs to get its s%&# together and prioritize. They especially need to cut back on university presidents who think they are mini-napoleans running a mini-empire. Stadium is top-rate but the rest of the community/state is sub-par at best. WIthout souls….

Craig March 18, 2011 at 8:36 am

It’s not just Alabama, apaprently most states suck. of course, as stated above, taxpayers are expected to pay immediately or are fined (interest), yet the government does not have to pay you for borrowing your money. I filed my taxes electronically through a taz preparer and my returns were accepted by both federal and state (Indiana) on February 14. I received my federal return within two weeks; Indiana has yet to send my refund.
Of course, being in Indiana, it would not surprise me to find out that our state revenue department is in Illinois with our lawmakers…

Chris March 25, 2011 at 6:36 am

It’s not the law makers as you put it that hold your tax refund up, its the process. And sorry to say, they arent the ones to change the process. Your words are futile. I am in the same boat as you. Filed feb1 and still no return. Site says, and i quote, “Your return has been received but has not completed processing. Your 2010 tax year refund has not yet been issued.” that is bs. And about the lawmakers, I agree with the move to go to illinois. That bi**H mitch is a joke. Saw a special on how he brought jobs here but when channel 6 went to the location, the building was empty. Factory had been closed for years. Mitch is the joke along with this tax thing. oh well.

Candis June 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm

We filled our taxes back in january,we had to wait 2 extra weeks for federal . And we filled electronically , here we are in june and still have yet to get back our state taxes . Why in the world is it that they cant pay us what were owed its rediculas . If it good for thegoose its good for the gander .. They owe us we ort to be able to charge them intrest for not paying us on time.. They charge us if we go over by a day …

Pat maybee June 12, 2012 at 8:44 am

I am from Illinois and we sent our state in Jan. and it’s June and we still have not received our refund. I have heard our state is broke. Wonder how they would like it if I gave them that excuse when they want something from me from now on.

Tracey July 27, 2012 at 2:25 am

Not that I disagree, you all shoulde be irritated with your respective states’ failure to pay you immediately but perhaps my story will make you feel a bit better about your situations… afterall, you are still getting your cash THIS YEAR!! I’m an Indiana resident. In 2004, I did not work and so I allowed my ex to claim our son with the idea being that I ultimately end up with the cash anyway (due to his large child support arrearage) and he benefits from the deal as well since claiming our son boosts his refund by at least 2500 and thats 2500 more that will be deducted from the amount he is behind. He filed, Kentucky intercepted the refund and forwarded to me in Indiana, all appeared to be going fine but my money never arrived even though I easily verified that I should have. After some work, I found that Indiana had seized the full amount of $2900 instead of forwarding it to me. They claimed I owed it to them and whats worse, they said I still owed another $4000+ all of which I supposedly owed from having received monthly cash assistance (WELFARE) during 1995…. I explained that they were wrong since I know I’ve NEVER received even $1 from welfare and on top of that, I was just 15 yrs old in 1995! It took countless phone calls over a period of almost 1yr to get someone to really listen to me and look into the matter because angry callers complaining that their money was seized is a normal occurance and usually those angry callers did in fact owe the money. They just ignore it. Once the employee checked in the system, it took about 3 or 4 minutes for him to realize what had happened: My husband’s SS# had connected my records to his ex’s records because they have children together, SHE (not I) owes the state money from having received welfare in 1995, she and I both have first names beginning with T and the records show only the last name, first initial of the individual since it’s all really organized by SS#, the mistake had occurred because one of their employees had determined that she and I were one in the same (because of the same first initial, and same spouse) and that her last name was in fact MY maiden name. OMG! Furthermore, now that their mistake was clear, it could take as much as 1 full year for me to receive my money (it had been a year already at that point) and I should try to be patient. I was the very definition of patient and didnt call again to inquire about my money for 1yr and 1mo at which point I was told that the gentleman I had spoke with 13mos before did not work there anymore and they didnt know anything about it. Again, I was ignored and assumed to be another person calling to bitch about them getting their money which I had “obviously” owed. I am not just giving up on almost $3000 but it’s now been 8yrs (yes, 8yrs!!!) and I finally managed to get the local county child support prosecutor to investigate and it took her 2mos but on june 4, 2012 she called to let me know that the problem was resolved and that the state had already entered into their computer database that the amount seized was to be refunded. I would be thrilled except that I still havent received the money (or anything else regarding the situation). I tried to ask the prosecutor if she might be able to find out the expected refund date but she says she has no idea when I can expect it and no idea of whom I could possibly contact to ask. The more time passes, it’s beginning to feel like “deja vu”. So, try and just be happy (or at least not be angry) that your refunds are taking only 6 mos! I’m finding it harder to keep my composure every time I call these people.

Johnny August 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I had a CPA file my tax returns on April 15th. about 2 weeks later, the IRS kept my return because I owed them. Which was fine with me, however, I worked in La, and Miss. and they both owe me money. I have yet to see it or even hear from those two states. I wonder if I can charge them a big azz penalty for paying me late? It I owed them money, they would have already charged me a penalty and interest. Go Figure!