Alabama State Tax Refund: Finally!

by Kevin on April 12, 2009

After waiting nearly two months to get our state tax refund we finally received it a few days ago. It’s nice to have our money back.

A reader left a great comment with useful information from the Alabama Department of Revenue on another post, saying,

The Alabama Department of Revenue gets its money for income tax refunds from the state’s Education Trust Fund, because that’s where income taxes are deposited.

However, with the economic downturn of the past year or so and the proration that followed, there’s not enough money in the fund to recompense what taxpayers overpaid.

“The people who got their tax returns processed early got their refunds pretty quickly,” said Carla Snellgrove, public information manager for the Department of Revenue. “As we get closer to the filing deadline, we’ve had to deal with cash flow issues from the Education Trust Fund.

“It comes down to priority.”

First in line are public elementary and secondary schools; colleges and universities get paid next; and tax refunds are handled with whatever money remains.

Alabama law gives the state until July 15 to fulfill its refund obligations before interest begins accruing on those unpaid refunds. On average, 1 million out of 1.8 million tax filers get refunds. In this fiscal year, Snellgrove said about 629,000 refunds have been issued.

Snellgrove said, hopefully, revenue will soon pick up and keep pace with expenditures through the trust fund. Revenue comes in monthly via money withheld in employees’ paychecks. Self-employed Alabamians will file their quarterly taxes by the end of April.

“We have gotten a lot of phone calls from taxpayers who are accustomed to getting their state refunds quickly,” she said. “I think in the past several weeks, taxpayers have gotten concerned about reports that the state of California and Kansas were putting tax refunds on hold and that they didn’t know when they’d begin issuing them.

“We are issuing refunds, but they’re going out a bit more slowly.”

Just reading this reminds me of why I hate politics and poorly run government.

Here’s an idea: keep that refund money seperate from the education money.

Or here’s another idea: have the government live off of last year’s income and pay down debt. I recommend to my readers that they live off of last month’s income (have a one month buffer in your checking account), and I think it works for the government, too. Sorry, no, you can’t spend any more this year because you’re out of money. Get over it.

Anyways, off of my soap box! I’m just glad we’ve got our refund and I can roll the difference between what we owed the federal government and what Alabama owed us into our second mortgage. One step at a time…

Steve in Denmark April 12, 2009 at 7:26 am

Maybe I should move over there. To Alabama. I come from Birmingham*, so I should be ok. As…not only do we in Denmark pay the highest taxes in the world (as I understand), but this year, I got slapped with a 4,000Dkk bill! While the rest of Denmark seems to be celebrating getting money back, I’m gonna be paying even more tax this year. Just great. Still, I do work for the Hospital system so – PAY MORE TAXES, you gimps. And keep me in a job, etc.

*The real Birmingham. The one in England.

Russell Fascenda April 16, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I think if there is a way to adjust withholding amount from pay, I would try hard to making sure I underpaid my state tax, so that I had a small amount due at year’s end. Rather than having an overpayment and waiting for the refund. That puts you in control.

But I don’t know state income tax, in Florida it’s in the state constitution that there shall be no income tax. It could get amended but would require a vote of the citizens. That would be a hard vote to get.

Kevin April 19, 2009 at 11:49 am

@Russell: If I can remember to do that, I think I will try to do just that. Perhaps change my withholdings for one or two weeks only just to help out.

Terron May 4, 2009 at 12:34 pm

it is nice to here someone got there return from ala. i sent mine a month ago electonically and still nothing, says it has been accepted and to wait 8-16 weeks,EFILE FOR WHAT!!!!!

robin c. May 12, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Im glad someone out there knows whats up with alabama! Its been three months since we filed, and we still dont have our refund. Every week we pay our taxes. Where is the money at? Schools are closing everyday, people are loosing jobs, but the politicians are keeping their fat paychecks. I want to know who is reaping the rewards of the sweat off our backs. Its nice to know that if alabama doesnt make the deadline, that they have to pay intrest. Thats a nice change of pace.

Terron May 14, 2009 at 7:46 pm

2 months and still nothing and their website says 8-12 weeks.

Terron May 14, 2009 at 7:52 pm

i guess i should expect it around 2 days before their deadline to pay penalties.July.and get the refund and a letter saying that your penalty check will be issued 8-12 weeks.lol

Vern in Gulf Shores May 19, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I sent mine back in February. I sent it Overnight, and Registered which means they had to sign for it, which they did. Waited 2 months and not showing up in the Where’s my Refund site. Wrote the AL. Tax site, and found they lost my paperwork. I had to go back to Jackson Hewitt, recopy the Tax forms, and sent it again to them. I called 2 days later, and they acknowlegded the recieved it. That was over a month now, so it doesnt really matter if a person is priority or not when they send their taxes, if our own Alabama Tax office needs there hands held like children not to lose something as important as this. Also, if this is a “Refund” then they should already have have my money ready to send back, as they kept most of it. No wonder our country is in the shape its in with this kind of Cash management mentality.

robin c. May 20, 2009 at 1:16 am

mine has now been three and a half months gone, and still nothing.i guarantee you, that if we owed alabama, they would be breaking in our doors already!

Robin C.
Silverhill

Terron May 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm

now it says it has been approved and should be 6-12 weeks.it was sent mar-13 electronically

Vern in Gulf Shores May 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Anyone else having problems getting any info off the “Where’s my Refund” site ? Been showing “An Error has Occured” for the last
week now. Also, the Phone Inquiry doing the same. I noticed they
updated the site adding “Paper or Electronic next to Filing Forms.

Thanks

David May 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I am so sick of southern politicing and watching people get arrested by the FBI. We so desperately need laws that incarcerate bad politicians AND take all there belongings from them. There is so much inequity in the way our State is being run, it is not even funny. These government officials are so stupid in the way they are conducting the affairs of the State. No business could ever survive being run this way! I cannot believe we have to pay the State interest if we are even one day late paying taxes, but the State gets to take months to repay its citizens. We need serious change and leadership in Alabama.

A.K. May 23, 2009 at 4:46 pm

My only suggestion, this state needs new leadership!!!!

Polamalufan May 26, 2009 at 10:21 am

Our previous statsus was 6 weeks. Since that has come and gone 2 times over. We just checked the site and it states – 58 days…..What is that?!? Not even a round number. I will check again tomorrow, it will most likely be 158 days….

Billie May 27, 2009 at 4:52 am

I electronically filed on January 29th and as of May 27th, 4 months, nothing!!! The refund status website changes their “statement” daily, so I wonder what the real truth is. The last status I received is that it was approved on 4/10/09 and that I “should” receive my refund in 6 weeks. Guess what, six weeks are up and nothing. Now the website removed the “six weeks” and said that it would be issued as soon as funds were available. I wonder what response I would have received if I had owed the state money and put that statement on my return. How does this sound “due to the economic turn down, income in my household is lower then normal, I will send money as funds are available”. I don’t think that would fly. I agree that this state is run poorly and needs a major overhall. I am proud to live in Alabama but I can see why others outside of the state think we are so backward!

Intha May 27, 2009 at 12:34 pm

i filed early for my refund and now 4 months later i still dont have it. i went to the web site (state of Alabama refunds) and it keeps giving error messages, i called the toll free number and after pushing all the buttons i am told that it is not working correct and to try again later. really frustrating. i have changed my tax form and will not OVER pay next year! the state of Alabama can wait until April 15th for my money and i may even file an extension next year.

aggravated in Mobile June 5, 2009 at 1:26 pm

I also filed early in Jan and have yet to get a refund back- I also have lowered my amount of state tax that is being taken out so next year instead of waiting on them-they can wait on me!

robin c. June 6, 2009 at 9:47 am

hey yall, i have a phone number where you can reach a real live person.
its 334-242-1099

i was surprised. i actually didnt have to wait on hold for an hour and i got to talk to someone who knew what was going on.
turns out we were being audited becouse our deductions didnt jive with our income.i explained why our income had changed and our deductions hadnt.
i asked why we werent notified.he said becouse no one had looked at our return until now.the man took care of everything.(i hope)
he said we would get our return, but we had to wait for the state to send the money.i told him that wasnt fair, but he said he had no control over thechecks. only the auditing.well at least i finally know something.

Christopher stone June 7, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I agree totally thanks for the idea of changing my tax withdraw but lord they are killing me. I don’t understand why the people of alabama would sign into law the ability for the state to wait till july 15th to pay fines. But i think it is ridiculous that the state deposits the money into an education trust what makes no since is the amount of money that they are drawing interest on that amount has to be large but we have no control i think we as citizens of alabama should vote out all the politicians in the entire state and vote in some new ones they might not do better but at least maybe they will hear our voices and know that we want change in the way the state is being operated.

Tammy Card June 11, 2009 at 10:08 pm

I am so disgusted with the refund policy of the state of Alabama. The website is worthless, the updates are useless. I guess that I should not complain. I have only been waiting for 8 weeks compared to what some of you have been experiencing. Has anyone in the group received their refund?

Vern in Gulf Shores June 12, 2009 at 11:26 am

Sent mine off Mid-February. Sent it Registed Mail. They signed for it. Then they lost it. Re-copied everything and sent it in again. That was 10 weeks ago. Total of 17 weeks now waiting. Sent them a heated email from their site. Probably will get audited now, but at least I would have gotten a response of some kind finally. They took our taxes, and we gladly gave it to help improve our state. A Refund is what is left from what was theirs. The Refund portion shouldnt have been used in any way, so it stands to reason it should be readily available to send back to me. If so……….

Then, where is it?

Good Luck to everyone out there. Our state has let us down once again.

Vern

Debbie Gabel June 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm

We filed our taxes electronically the first of February and still nothing. I do not believe that it is first come first serve because I have several friends and relatives who filed after me and they have had their refund. It is not that we are desperate but it is the principal. If I had taken that long to pay the state they would have already sent a letter threatening to place a lein on my home.
I am with the person who said he changed his withholding so that he would not overpay again and that is what we did. I think the state of Alabama needs to re-think the way they handle other peoples money.

Trisha June 15, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I actually waited until mid April to do our taxes. Still waiting on that great refund we are entitled to. Haha its now a joke at our house!!

jule June 15, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I will never overpay taxes again.

Joe in Dothan June 15, 2009 at 11:42 pm

I filed my taxes electronically end of January. Received a notice requesting a hard copy of my W-2 in March which I sent in by registered mail. The next week the website said my refund was approved and would be paid within 28 days. That was 2 and a half months ago. I think it is funny that “Due to the Dowturn in the economy” they can’t give me back MY money. The economic dowturn has affected me as well, and I desperately need that money to keep my home from going into foreclosure. The bank (Citimortgage) who got billions of our tax dollars to help bail them out certainly is not accepting the excuse that sorry, the state of Alabama is broke and can’t pay me what they owe me, so I in turn can’t pay you! It is enough to make you pull your hair out!

Carla June 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm

We sent ours in back in February – still nothing. At first I thought it might mean we were *shudder* being audited, so I was glad to find this thread. Still, it would be nice to get the refund sometime before next tax season…

Kevin June 22, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I can’t believe some people still haven’t received them. Goodness. Hang in there, folks.

Shad June 23, 2009 at 11:35 am

So is it safe to assume they will issue refunds on or around July 15?

Jack June 23, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Yep – You can bet they have already printed up the checks months ago, just waiting for the 15th of July to roll around and send them out. Meanwhile, our money has been sitting in an offshore account somewhere garnering lots of interest for the state of Alabama….

Marilyn June 24, 2009 at 10:35 am

Glad to see that some people are finally getting paid…we are at 20 weeks as of today (THAT’S 5 MONTHS, PEOPLE!!). We filed electronically and asked for the money to be direct-deposited into our bank, both to allegedly speed up our refund. For the past 2 months, our refund has been “approved and will be issued in the due course of business.” Anybody want to hazard a guess about what that’s supposed to mean?

Kristin June 25, 2009 at 5:48 am

Our has said the same thing all of yours has said. Once it even said when I would receive the refund (sometime in early June). Then said as funds are available. It said that for about 2 months now. Last week and today I checked and it says “Your tax return has been received and is still being processed.” That’s really funny because for months it has said it was processed on 4/20 and I will get a refund as funds allow. WTH is going on over there?!

Kristin June 25, 2009 at 5:50 am

Oh and not to mention, we filed in FEB and it was saying it was processed in April!

Kristin June 25, 2009 at 7:53 am

Here is what they just told me via email:

Due to a shortage of funds refunds are not being issued and we cannot give a date when your refund will be issued.

JoeInMadison June 25, 2009 at 8:25 am

Kristan,

Feel your pain. I am in worse shape as I filed on April 14, so I guess it might be next year before I get my money back.

I hope the next time I owe the state income tax that they let me have the same arrangement

Kevin June 26, 2009 at 8:00 pm

Sorry to hear everyone is still going through this.

In the meantime you might consider:
1. adjusting your W4 so that next year’s taxes don’t owe you a ton of money
2. consider earning extra income on the side. If you need ideas for online stuff let me know (for example Virtual Bank can turn $100 into $120 in 30 days due to the account bonus, or $160 if you refer a spouse).

Shad June 30, 2009 at 8:38 am

For the past few weeks my status has said “your return has been received and is being processed”, but today I check and it stated that i was not in the system?! What should I do? I’m tired of the state playing with my money!

Tracey June 30, 2009 at 12:33 pm

I am glad someone has recieved the refunds. I filed my taxes in early Febuary and still have not recieved my refund from Alabama. I no longer live there but it would be nice to recieve my refund from my home state.

Jennifer, Huntsville June 30, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I filled in on Feb. 3, gone through all these problems!!
Acutally myself and another friend of mine.
Today I finally got the answer “You are not in your system”
I give up!!!

Barbara June 30, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Well I feel better knowing I’m not the only one who STILL has not received my refund. I filed my return in February and still nothing. I got the “in the course of business” from the AL Tax Hotline. I thought maybe it had to do with your last name, but know that’s not the case now since my last name starts with “D” and they HAVE to be through the “D” by now or we are in big trouble. Maybe it’s by SSN. Mine starts with a 5.

Vern in Gulf Shores June 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm

17 Weeks now and still nothing. Wrote the Help-site twice now
with NO response, however…after the last one I may never see
my Refund. Haha Word on street is the larger the Refund, the
longer its going to take. Alabama has NO money for Refunds,
and doesnt expect any until August at the earliest. A miniscule
interest rate will be assesed to those that still wait after 7/15.
Good Luck Folks, but im afraid we wont see anything for several
months. This is no more/less than money laundering against the
very people the State is supposed to be protecting. It REALLY is
a shame, and has created quite a blemish on the State of
Alabama. I will be moving by years end……

Garrick June 30, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Does any know what the interest rate is that will be applied to the checks after 7/15?

Lisa July 1, 2009 at 9:34 am

I have not received my refund either….i filed in January and as of 7/1/09, NO REFUND. As stated in previous comments, our sorry @zz government will not issue a refund until the law requires them to send them out by the deadline of 7/15/09. This is a shame because they take every nickel and dime out of our checks and want us to pay on time. The “800” number and the workers you get on the line once they do answer is of NO help. Why are they even working? The website is a joke. I hope someone in government is reading these posts.

Keri July 1, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Hey there – I feel better seeing that everyone is going through this. I filed back in Feb and still nothing. I recently moved to AL so I figured it was customary (however; my mother filed the same day & got hers back in 2 weeks). I believe that the bigger the refund the more time they are taking. I’ve gotten the same ridiculous message “tax refund rec’d & waiting to be processed.” Hang in there people – we are all in the same boat. 🙂

Kevin July 1, 2009 at 12:33 pm

@Keri: Interesting idea.

Would everyone mind coming back and posting up, generally, how much of a refund they were waiting on? I was waiting on a $600 or so refund and got it back in April — 2 months after filing.

I wonder about the size of the others…

Trisha July 1, 2009 at 12:39 pm

We filed in April and no refund yet. We’re expecting $1300 back. Hoping I get it before vacation time but hey its looking doubtful! Guess I shouldve filed earlier. It is a shame that our state can’t handle its business any better than this! Throw em all out!!!

Kristin July 1, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Ours is only $300 but I wondering if the fact that we aren’t residents has anything to do with it!

Vern in Gulf Shores July 1, 2009 at 12:51 pm

They just dont have the money to Refund. Its as simple as that. The State Law is the Education Fund will receive Monies first from the Refund Income, and when it has been satisfied, the Refunds will be paid, but only when extra monies come in. August looks like the beginning point for Refunds to start being sent out. Ours is $872.00 and we are not holding our breath anymore. Shame on our State for this mis-mangement. Organized Crime launders money, and they go to Prison…….

Guess State Government doesnt have to live by the same standards.

CRobinson July 1, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Last year I filed on April 15 and I got my refund in early June, but this is getting shameful. Should we write our representatives and tell them that if they want to get elected for another term they should work on getting our refunds to us?

Tom July 2, 2009 at 8:47 am

I wonder why if where late sending money in we get fines and very high interest if they don’t pay by there date its only 4% Im waiting on $1000.00

Kristin July 2, 2009 at 11:44 am

We got ours in the mail today. Was supposed to be direct deposited and the status on the website still says it’s processing. LOL. who knows what they are doing there. at least we got it FINALLY!

Trisha July 2, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Congrats Kristin!!! I ran excitedly to the mailbox…but no such luck here!!! LMAO Then I laughed at myself! I know its not funny…but its either laugh or call and fuss someone out!

karen May 5, 2010 at 7:37 am

I have been waiting for 10 weeks for my refund, nothing yet. It’s not like they owe me a huge amount of money but they do owe it to me. If our politicians new what the hell they were doing none of us would have to wait – do you think they would wait on us to pay? No & they wouldn’t give us months to pay it before interest began to kick in, they don’t have to pay us any interest until after July 15th, I think they should pay interest as soon as they accepted my tax form……….

Vern in Gulf Shores July 2, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Well, I got a letter today from the State of Alabama. I was so
excited that like Kristen, they had sent it in the mail. Here it
is almost 20 weeks since sending my taxes in, I have a letter
in my hand asking me to re-submit all my expenses, receipts,
and paperwork again. And here is the best part…if they do not
receive all my paperwork by July 10th, my Refund is Null and
Void. Its July 2nd, and there is NO WAY I can get with my CPA and have everything to send in time. Isnt it convienient I received this the day before July 4th Holiday. Im so furious and ashamed of where I live right now we could cry. We are giving up on trying and waiting anymore.

Beware, and Good Luck Folks, and pray for our Country.

Trisha July 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Well there you go. I wondered what there new strategy was gonna be. Now we know. Put it off…ask for more and more info…put it off….make it impossible…ohhhh if I get one of those letters ya’ll are gonna read about me in the newspaper. Haha I’ll be the blonde camped out in Montgomery!!!

Jennifer July 2, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I received my letter last week, My tax preparer said the State was just
buying more time…. OK, Whatever I have been waiting since Feb 3,!!!!

Moby July 2, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Here’s a better idea. Don’t require my employer to withhold too much in taxes in the first place so that you can get what amounts to a free loan. The withholding form should allow for reduction of taxable income based upon projected deductions. I am a CPA, I can handle it!!!! If not, charge me a penalty. They have NO RIGHT taking more moneyn from me than is owed. In New York, I had the flexibility to have less withheld.

By the way, I am now going on 4 MONTHS and we are talking a significant amount of money!!!! If I had known the policy in Alabama was so screwed up, I would not have moved here. I am telling everyone who asks me if it is a good place to live NOT TO!!!

Vern in Gulf Shores July 8, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Looks my last 2 posts have been deleted. I suggest everyone be careful what us said here. I just got audited by the State, when I just spoke to an Agent 2 weeks ago, and everything was OK and ready to Refund when money comes in. Then, I received a letter saying they needed more info, and if not received in 10 days, I would forfeit my Refund. Now Im being audited, and my posts are missing on here?

Hmmmmmmmmm…My taxes arent a worry as my CPA said everything was in order, and a very simple filing.

Makes one wonder who this site is really operated by……..

Shame………..

Kevin July 8, 2009 at 2:44 pm

@Vern: To put forth the idea that somehow my blog is linked to the state of Alabama is asinine at best.

I suggest something very basic has happened: there are so many comments on this post — due to its popularity — (this is the 57th at the time of this writing) that my blogging software puts them on individual pages 50 at a time so that when people visit the page doesn’t take a long time to load.

Here is where the first 50 comments have gone: http://www.nodebtplan.net/2009/04/12/alabama-state-tax-refund-finally/comment-page-1/#comments

You can reach this page by clicking “previous comments” in the comment area.

Your comments from the following days appear on that page: May 19, May 20, June 12, June 30, and July 1. Your comments from July 2nd and July 8th appear on this page of comments.

In terms of who this site is operated by, feel free to check out my about page.

I am NOT associated with the state of Alabama in any way (although my wife is a teacher).

In the future if you have some sort of issue with the site I would appreciate an e-mail and I could kindly clear up and confusion with you that way rather than putting completely false information out into the comments.

Trisha July 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm

@ Vern. Hey I’m still showing your posts. Besides the one today. You had one on July 2nd about the letter and July 1, June 30th etc. Maybe your computer is playing tricks on you. Were those the posts you were talking about?

Vern in Gulf Shores July 8, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Kevin and Gang…My sincerest aplologies to everyone. I should have been more detailed in my statement. I wasnt implying that you were in cahoots with the State, rather that if they monitor this site, shame on them for taking advantage of our concerns.

However, I did jump the gun on the deleted posts, again…Im sorry Kev. I should have emailed you first, asking what had happened.
This is a great page to vent and speak one’s mind, and I do appreciate your work on this site.

Guess Im letting the State get the best of me. It just hurts when the State takes money from my family, after we worked so hard to earn it, then they hide behind lies and deceit, making it even harder to receive what is ours to begin with.

Again, my sincererest apologies to everyone here…

Kevin H July 12, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I just have a question. I am sitting here with a copy of my tax forms, I have called the hotline and checked online to get an update on my refund and all it says is that the information I entered, does not match their records. I am looking at a copy and I know i have entered the correct information. Does anyone have a telephone number I can call and speak to a person at the Dept. of Revenue about the status of my refund?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Vern in Gulf Shores July 12, 2009 at 9:01 pm

To Kevin H,

Make sure you have your SS# correct, your filing status,
and amount of refund with dollar amount only…no cents.
If still an error, Ive found writing them gets a quicker re-
sponse, and have things in writing. The link to write is…

Also, try calling the refund Hotline at 1-800-558-3912.

Most of the time people receive an error when entering
info on the refund online because they enter the wrong
filing status.

SS# Usually is correct 😉

40 – Electronically Filed
40 – Paper Filed
40A – Paper Filed
40NR – Paper Filed

Refund Amount $750 (Dollar amounts only, NO CENTS)

Hope this helps,

Vern

Michelle Postell July 15, 2009 at 12:55 am

I filed my state tax return on the deadline and thought it might take a little longer since I did wait til the deadline which I had never done before. Mid-June I get a letter from them saying they lost my W2 form and I needed to mail another one to them. I promptly mailed another one out and found out today that is was approved today and I am wondering when will I see the refund? It’s not much but I am currently unemployed and just exhausted my unemployment benefits and it would sure come in handy, NOW!!! I feel this is a shame that our state and national government can’t do a better job than this.

Trisha July 15, 2009 at 6:04 am

On the news yesterday, the reporter was saying that the states of Alabama and Georgia was scrambling to get refunds out to avoid interest payments. I thought to myself “yea right”. Still no refund this morning. Oh well. Waiting to see how much interest will be…..

kevinHSV July 15, 2009 at 6:16 pm

I spoke with someone from the Al rev dept about the interest and she stated it was 4% compounded monthly. Sounds fine but I find it hard to believe it is compounded monthly. She could be right…that would be a first. My wife and I have adjusted our withholding last month. Time to replace the current fat cats (redneck bubbas) in Montg. I live in Huntsville and the good ole boy system here if falling to the side.

terron ford July 16, 2009 at 1:06 pm

finally i received my refund today.like i said it would come on the deadline for enterest.5 months.and i efiled.

Trisha July 17, 2009 at 7:17 am

Well folks our refund was direct deposited overnight. I e-filed in April. Guess they couldnt afford the interest either. Haha. Updates anyone else?

Shad July 17, 2009 at 7:24 am

Mines was direct deposited last night as well. I’m sure most people have gotten theirs now because I actually applied for an extension and filed after the original deadline…by paper at that.

Brian July 21, 2009 at 8:15 am

Still waiting on mine! E-filed on or about April 1 and no direct deposit as of yet! 🙁

KevinHSV July 21, 2009 at 8:40 am

We finally received ours on July 17 via direct deposit. better late than never……..

Kevin July 21, 2009 at 8:45 am

Sounds like they are starting to roll in. As good as this sounds I don’t think we should ignore what has happened thus far.

What ideas does everyone have for moving forward? Should we pressure our elected officials?

At the very least let me encourage all of you to adjust your withholdings so the state doesn’t owe you a refund next year. The easiest way to not have a delayed refund is to not be owed one. (Obviously you have to be careful not to severely under-withhold and potentially pay fees for that.)

I’d much rather owe $100 than be owed $100.

You can learn how to prepare for your 2009 tax return in an article I wrote about it.

Vern in Gulf Shores July 21, 2009 at 8:56 am

Great Advice Kevin! Adjusted ours last week. As for our
Refund return, we are still waiting to see what they will
do. After they lost our first set of returns with all our
reciepts and mileage records, then asking us to re-
send everything with-in 10 days, we sent in the paperwork
they had sent, and checked the box we didnt have the
paperwork to show receipt of expenses, but made darn
sure in a letter it was becuase of the timing issue, and
their error in losing our first set, even sent registered mail
that they signed for. Have a feeling I wont be getting the
$872 due us. Glad for others though that are getting theirs.
We’ll keep waiting till we hear something and update everyone
then. Good Luck to everyone and take Kev’s advice. Its not
worth the money to go thru this emotionally.

MaryB July 22, 2009 at 11:27 am

So glad I found this website. I spoke to the Ala. Dept. of Rev. today (July 22) and was informed that it would probably be another 90 days before I received my refund. When I asked why my daughter, whose return was enclosed in the same mailing envelope as mine and mailed on April 15th, had already received her refund, but I had not, I was told that maybe hers didn’t have stuff that “needed to be looked at.” I asked whether this meant I was in line for an audit, and was told no. I then asked the person what kind of stuff was being “looked at” that didn’t involve an audit but was still enough to hold up my refund for 6 months. She couldn’t say. I finally asked whether the real reason was because the state simply couldn’t afford to pay the substantial refund amount until the new fiscal year begins in Sept. Although she didn’t come right out and say so, that is the impression I got. Really scary thought.

Vern in Gulf Shores July 23, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Well, the wait is finally over…and of course as no surprise, our Refund of $872 has turned into us having to pay the State
$116.00. After they lost our initial returns, then we had to re-
copy everything and return it to them in 10 days, they say they
did not receive it in time, they went with a standard deduction, and
ruled all the expenses I claimed (Mileage, business expenses, etc.)
were null and void. I just cant beleive this. Ive worked in 5 other
states, having the same yearly expenses, and never had a problem.

Good Luck to everyone here, and to those that received their refunds,
you need to be very thankful. Im so ashamed of my home state, and
we’re very seriously considering moving to Pensacola, FL. just
1/2 hour from us. Florida has NO State Tax.

Shame on the State of Alabama. You hurt the very people who
gave their owed tax to you willingly, and you swindled us. Alabama
has now joined the ranks of the Mob.

Good Luck Everyone,

Vern

Patricia September 23, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Wow, that’s essentially nearly a thousand dollars difference – you were swindled by the state. I wouldn’t blame you one bit if you decided to move to FL. I only work a little bit in AL and live and work full time in MS – but now don’t even want to work at all in AL any more because of this mess. MS is kind of bad, but I did have my tax return within three weeks though.

earl August 6, 2009 at 2:16 pm

i sent my tax papers in early feb. still have not heard anything i called and got no answeras to why so i guess when they or ready they will send it or try and find a way to keep it

David August 15, 2009 at 10:23 am

I filed near the deadline, and hadn’t heard anything. Filled out the form last week and got immediate reply that they didn’t have it and that I need to refile. Very very strange.

My return is very straight-forward, other than the fact I itemize the usual stuff (mortage, etc). Given the prompt reply on the “where is my refund” I am hopeful that I’ll get my money reasonably soon.

It definitely is not a good time to be waiting on $800….

Patricia September 23, 2009 at 7:24 pm

The state is broke and they want to earn as much interest on our money as they possibly can!

venus August 24, 2009 at 10:20 am

It august 24th and I still have not received my refund. I sent it in around February 24th and it was approved the next day because I did it electronically. Needless to say in April I got a letter stating I needed to send proof of all my deductions. Are you serious!!! But to their suprise I gathered everything and returned it before the deadline. The website says info has been received and process. What does this mean. Can I expect my check to be deposited? No it means I am still without a check I am sure they thought they could keep. I called and their wasn’t much they could say except wait. Weight is what broke the bridge, wait is what i have been doing.. I am disappoint none the less. I really need my return as many of us do. Who can you count on now a days. Good luck to all that is still waiting..

r. moore September 2, 2009 at 8:08 pm

i mailed my refund one month before 4/15 and here it is sept. 2 AND STILL NO REFUND. i called a month ago and they said two to ten weeks, i called apr. 2 and they said six to eight weeks. way to go bama.

venus September 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm

I called a few days ago and the paper work i had sent back in may had never been looked at. The lady i spoke with this time was very nice, not too informative but nice. She said nothing had been done and she was pulling my info as we spoke on the phone. I can say the status on the website has changed from information received and is being process back to your refund will be received in 8-12 weeks. Oh and here is the BIG dinger. They reduced my refund. Yes I am happy to be receiving one but I am a little disappoint its not what i initially was getting. Good luck and I am still waiting

Patricia September 23, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I filed my Alabama state taxes in April and have yet to receive my return. Cheked on the status of it just now, and the site states it will be another eight to twelve weeks – which is about what it said two months ago when I checked. This is pretty ridiculous!

Jennifer September 24, 2009 at 9:26 am

I filed my taxes in Feb., Iwas told that the refund was ready to be mailed but
do not look for it until at least Oct.1, due to the state wraping up the
3rd quater. I truly don’t look for the refund this year,Good luck to all that is still waiting..

ppeden March 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I filed my tax return about six weeks ago and still have not recieved my refund. I was hoping to get it before I had to pay my federal. Seems I may have to come up with a backup plan. I file as Non resident because I live in MS and work in AL. I bet I am one of the last ones to get a refund. There are people where I work that live in AL and filed after me and they already have their returns.

Kristin March 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm

ppeden,

if you read over the comments, it took most of us MONTHHHHHSSS to get our returns last year. I’m talking 4-6 months. So six weeks…..you are lucky if you get it anytime soon! Wishing you some luck!!

Marilyn May 25, 2010 at 3:10 pm

At Last, My Refund has been Issued? Approved 3/9/10.Should receive in 12 days.

G Robin May 26, 2010 at 12:18 am

Update—as of midnight (wednsday morn)—refund received. Thanks all for the posts. Approved march 9….received may 26….direct deposit.

Amanda August 3, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Well no refund for me. I received a certified letter saying I owed the state. When all this time I thought I was getting a refund even when I still go to refund status website it says its being processed and I will receive a check in 8 to 12 weeks. When I called our local office he said they sent me 4 letters requested our W-2’s..I said the only letter I ever got was this certified today. Apparently something off of our W-2 was entered wrong..but the incomes he gave me off mine didn’t match my W-2. I have no idea what to do..no refund =( we owe money we didn’t know about and we’re getting charged late charges for something we knew nothing about..

Alabama Taxes September 26, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Wow very instructive post and I like your post. Now it’s very easy to know our state tax refund status and federal tax refund status.

PISSED OFF November 19, 2010 at 12:27 pm

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! Where IS MY REFUND??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

котлы и котельные установки February 2, 2011 at 8:33 am