Is Sell Your Cell a Scam?

by Kevin on May 13, 2009

On March 14th, almost exactly two months ago, I completed an order with SellYourCell.com. We bought new phones in February and everything seemed to be working fine, so I opted to sell our older phones for a little bit of cash.

We had the same phone: the LG VX8600. Both were in good condition. Mine had a couple of extra scratches on it, but overall the phones worked, the batteries worked, and they were in usable condition.

Searching for a Phone Buyer

I went online and searched for a vendor to sell my phone to. Back in 2006 I tried this and it took months and several e-mails to get my money, so I went into this situation with the full understanding that this could blow up in my face.

Nonetheless I searched and there are several companies that offer this type of service. Many boast of being featured in mainstream media like the Wall Street Journal, NBC, etc. Yet some of the firms offered litterally nothing for my phone. That ruled them out. Several others offered a little bit, but not enough to be worth my time.

That’s when I came across Sell Your Cell. They’ve got a decent looking website (unlike some of the others). They have a physical address and phone number listed on the website as well. It lookde and sounded legit.

I put in my “order” for our two phones and was told we would receive $24 for them. We printed off the shipping label (they pay for it, another perk), put everything into a box, and shipped it off.

Because I had done this before, I figured I knew what the company wanted. They wanted not only the phone, but any chargers, manuals, boxes, etc. that originally came with the phone. So I kept them.

That’s right. For three years we’ve had two LG VX8600 boxes sitting in our closet with the manuals inside of them. I put the phones and chargers back inside the original boxes, and put the boxes in the larger box that we shipped everything out in. I know they can use this to sell this phone to someone else.

That was March 14th. We put the phones in the mail a few days later.

That’s the last I’ve heard from Sell Your Cell.

Sell Your Cell Rips Me Off

To be honest, I kind of forgot about it until a few days ago. I never received an e-mail or call saying they had received my phones. Their automatically generated e-mail says to allow 10 to 14 days for the phones to arrive at their location, and then after 30 days (so they can test the phones and verify they work), they’ll send a check. At most you’re looking at 45 days or so — a month and a half.

In my opinion what’s happening here is they are giving themselves ample time to test the phone and go ahead and resell it in hopes you forget about it. We’re not shipping media mail here. This was a regular shipment. We’re in Alabama. They’re in Orlando, FL. It won’t take 2 weeks to get there. I guarantee that.

I am also pretty confident that it doesn’t take 30 days to verify the phones are working.

Any way you cut it, it’s been 60 days since I’ve heard a peep from the company. I called and left a voicemail yesterday. I called and left another one this morning. The voicemail says “Thank you for calling Rush Ventures Incorporated, home of SellYourCell and ReplaceYourPhone. We’re either away from the phone or assisting another customer at this time. Please leave your name, number, and invoice number and we’ll get back with you as soon as possible.” (or something like that).

They had been open 8 minutes when I called. I somehow doubt that they’re already so busy with customers on the phone that they can’t help me. This time my voicemail was not as polite, essentially saying I had no problem contacting the authorities in their state about scamming people from the Internet. (I have little patience.)

I doubt they call me back.

Let this be a lesson learned for all of you. The Internet is a dangerous place, full of people ready to rip you off.

It’s just $24. No skin off my back. I don’t need that money to pay my mortgage. It does irritate me, but only because I feel like I’ve been “had”. On top of that I felt like I did decent research — I Googled “Sell Your Cell scam” and nothing jumped to the forefront.

Perhaps in the future when someone runs that search they’ll find this blog post, and they’ll avoid SellYourCell. I sure hope so.

(Of course if this is resolved in the future I’ll be sure to update the post for everyone. You know like if a check shows up in my mailbox, or I get a call or e-mail back. I just doubt that is going to happen.)

David May 13, 2009 at 6:36 am

We’ll make sure it gets enough links, etc., to be a viable search… Companies like that disgust me as much as the vehicle warranty people…

Cindy September 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

You should remove this post as the company was purchased recently.

Kevin September 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Cindy I find it slightly suspicious that you are posting so many positive comments about SellYourCell from a Columbus, Ohio IP address. Interesting in that SellYourCell has supposedly been sold to someone in the Columbus, Ohio area.

At the end of the day, SellYourCell was supposedly sold to someone with a known bad history. This post, these comments, this discussion, are part of that bad history. To say the company had some bad customer issues is laughable… it was a scam. The new owners should have done their due diligence (and probably did) before purchasing the company.

When a company does good things and is sold, it shows up on the balance sheet as “Goodwill”. Consider SellYourCell’s history as “Bad Reputation”.

Ronald Edwards May 19, 2016 at 9:53 am

I agree with Kevin i too find it strange as i had not only wish i investigated the company, they sent me a bounced check. I had to really get mad and threaten them before they did anything about the bounced check. It has been 3 months since i sold them my iPhone 6 plus ( they offered me 364 and talked me into 75 dollars) even then the check bounced.. so I have to think that you Cindy work for sell your cell as your name sounds familiar.

Kimberly May 13, 2009 at 7:36 am

I don’t know anything about this company. I do think you might be overreacting a little bit here. They tell you six weeks, it’s been eight. You don’t even give them 24 hours to return a phone call before you start talking about calling authorities and blogging about how you’ve been scammed?

I’m inclined to agree with you that it seems suspect. But I also have enough small business experience to not be surprised by a small delay. And if every person got return calls in 24 hours it would be a miracle. It’s my goal, business and personal, and I don’t always make it.

If they are scammy (no offense intended here), you can’t honestly be totally surprised. Your phones are 3 years old, no one else is offering more than a X for them, and his company offers 12X for them. You took a chance, and you’re not really out anything – I would de-stress a little on this one.

HisHersMoney May 13, 2009 at 9:17 am

I have been in the same sitution with old phones that still work fine and have sold everyone of my old cell phones on ebay and have always gotten a great price for them without an issue. Some one breaks there’s, they are in the middle of a contract so the cell company wants a mint for a new phone so they look for a used one. Next time you might go that route instead.

Jay May 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Here in the Philippines you only need to walk to the nearest mall and there are plenty of buy and sell for cell shops

Kevin May 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm

@Kimberly: I think you are off base here. I still haven’t received a call or response to my e-mails. They weren’t offering 12 times what other companies were offering. And they were supposed to reach out to me after 30 days. I’ve given them more than enough time. I’m not threatening legal action as in suing them, but I would like to get the authorities involved in the cyber crime departments in Florida. Crime is crime, fraud is fraud, regardless if it is $12 or $1,200.

@HisHersMoney: I thought about that, but I’ve also read a lot about people getting scammed for electronics on eBay — and eBay essentially says “Oops, sorry, we refunded the customers money. Good luck getting it back.”

@Jay: Here we have places where you can recycle them for free, but not many places that I know of offer money.

Patrick Hebert July 14, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Thank you for this post.

I was seriously thinking about purchasing this company as it is advertised for sale and have begun my due-dilligence. Since there are so many companies out there that offer to do the same thing (purchase your cell phone) I thought this might be an option. I run a company doing something similar in Barrie, Ontario Canada except I don’t buy phones & thought this would be a good way to increase cashflow.

The way the cell recycling business works is that there are two ways your cell phone can be recycled – they can be either reprogrammed & reused or smelted (melted down) for recycling. The main company that buys phones for reuse pays 30 days after receiving the phones and smelters pay every 90 to 180 days. Sounds like SellYourCell.com is trying to extend the payment cycle to give themselves time to receive the money before issuing a check… but I guess they too ran out of money in this economy.

SellYourCell.com is for sale “due to health reasons” by Business Brokers of Florida.

Negative feedback like this is great & helps people like me to not waste money on bad businesses.

Thanks!

Ronald Edwards May 19, 2016 at 10:03 am

Glad you didn’t buy them they seam to not know what it is they do. how they manage while mailing out bad checks is mind boggling.

Randy Gates July 28, 2009 at 9:12 am

This is a sham website — First off, you feel safe that they have a toll free number, physical address and e-mail support — but the truth is much different!!. Their cell phone buy rates are higher than the typical buy-in rates and that’s where I got trapped. I was expecting approx. $30 from them but after 2 months, nothing!! Their toll-free numbers are never picked up by anyone, except the answering machine. So don’t waste your time and cell phone with these guys.

— Randy from Texas

Randy Gates July 31, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Hello,

You may want to change the title of your blog to: “Is SellYourCell.com a Scam?” so it shows up in Google search alongside the actual website: http://www.sellyourcell.com

Randy

GHK September 26, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I am curiuos to know if this has been resolved yet. I too am interested in buying this business for a couple of reasons. 1. I have distribution outlets in SA, AP and Russia and think I can sell phones in bulk to these folks adn 2. I know the owner is running it part time while working a full-time job. She has experienced some personal harship over the past months – nothing financial – and is not spending the time required to run this business. I am very interested in understanding if this problem has been adressed properly. And, if not I will promise a speedy resolution should the company transfer to my ownership. Cheers.

Pitacvert September 29, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I have to say that I had exactly the same experience with sellyourcell.com. They were supposed to send me 19$ for a Treo 700p. I never saw a dime. I sent the phone in February 09; tried to contact them multiple times since then. Nothing, nada, rien, niente. Looks like a scam operation to me.

JR January 19, 2010 at 8:45 am

They are a scam. I sent them working cell phones, they sent me nothing. I contacted them, they said the check was in the mail. A month later I contacted them again, they claimed the phones no longer worked. Total scam. They get bad marks from the BBB as well. I wish I had checked that first.

jcomputerguy February 8, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I haver a story to tell.I have a motorola phone thats worth 300.00 brand new.. nothing wrong with it,i dont use the carrier any longer,so i did a google research and of course http://www.sellyourcell.com poppeed up.they were going to give me $6.00 for it.well so i agreed and been waiting for the box in the mail,mean while i decided to call them. LOL there number has been disconected.ok so lets try email,and guess what,you got it,thats not correct .so need less to say since i did not send the phones out,i am revoking my order.so they shipped me a box.with a lable supposely… comapnys like this need to be reported to the better business burea.i am tired of seing people ripped off.

jcomputerguy February 8, 2010 at 6:08 pm

one last comment,guess what there web site shows year 2007 at the bnottom of it,come on people dont you know that if there is a web site that shows that many years ago,um means they are no longer affilated with anything.example any web site that you go to .always look on bottom of web page if it shows this year 2010..well that means there as been activity by there web site devolpers, but if not how can you trust them.? also when you click email them,there comes up an error LOL um cause they dont exsist.. and then when you click link contact us. number for 407 area code and when you call it, number does not exsist. seems fishy too me,sounds like a scam..anyhow good luck all,be acareful ,not everything on google is true..

nwclassic February 15, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I had the same experience. I sold them one phone with no problem, and when I sent a second phone in, I never heard from them again. I called and left a voicemail, phone always goes to voicemail during their “business hours.” its now been over two months since I was supposed to receive my check. AVOID this co.

jcomputerguy February 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm

to nw classic ..hey thanks for your reply..i found a new company that tardes in phones and gives you cash or amazon gift card.so far so good,im still waiting for them to send me a gift card number by email.i will re post and let everyone know the name of the company ..id rather do that after i get my money just in case i get scammed grr LOL

Kevin February 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Just an update for everyone that is struggling to find a place to sell phones or other gadgets. I recently used Gazelle.com to sell an older camera.

They gave me $50 for it, plus I found a coupon for $10 more in bonuses. I don’t think I could have sold the camera on eBay for more than $20 — so I was very happy.

jcomputerguy March 4, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Im back to update what most people have been waiting for.I finally received my money for my cell phones it took about 1 month.here is the website.i would not be putting this on the internet if i did not trust this site nor this comapny that i just got through doing business with and there customer service is very good as well able to reach them in a timely manner…heres the web site http://flipswap.com
Eneter your brand of cell phone and look it up it will give you how much its worth.its in the midldle of the page,also just want to say if you wish to do it by anazon gift card,they do that as well,same company and when they recieve the phones they email you a gift card code with instuctions very easy to do,Thats what i chose to do.good luck all hope my information helped

SmithyTheDon April 15, 2010 at 8:37 am

Wow, sucks you got scammed! I’m from the UK and there is a lot of buzz around selling you “cell” or mobile here. I used a company called Mobile Phone Xchange and got £55 ($85?) for my old phone when I got an upgrade, and I got the money within a couple of weeks! Loads of other sites were offering similar amounts too. Maybe you should see if they accept phones from abroad next time you have a phone to sell? 😛

Mimzy April 19, 2010 at 1:43 am

Really grateful for reviews like this by real people, it definitely makes you think twice. Thanks Kevin!

Anneliese May 9, 2010 at 2:23 am

I’ve used “CashOldPhone” w/o a hitch.

spunky May 15, 2010 at 8:55 am

i would just like to ring in and say that i have sold several phones thou them and have had no problums i just wish they would buy all cell.

SellYourCell May 18, 2010 at 10:08 am

I’m sorry some people had a bad experience but the readers should know that SellYourCell.com is under new ownership since April, 2010. The site was never a “scam” but suffered at times from bad customer service. Great customer service, including good communication with customers on the status of their phones and prompt payment, are our number one priority now.

So…give us a chance….End of shameless plug (:

Ronald Edwards May 19, 2016 at 10:07 am

End the seamless bad business. the bad plugs is the experiences customers have gotten from your company, read them not try to change them and if i was you id be more trying to make my company better because right now in my eyes you are a very bad company who bounce checks, lie about prices and i believe thats face advertisement.

Mike July 8, 2010 at 9:49 am

I have been using SellYourCell.com now for years and NEVER had a problem. Furthermore, I have done some shopping around, found better return rates with out shops and they have matched the pricing! I swear by them and have ALWAYS received what I was quoted!

Jeff August 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Actually, i used to work there. back in 2007.
I was the head cellphone tech there and by no means is it a scam.
granted there where a few problems here and there, some of them where my fault and i take responsibility there.
They do pay up for good phones. but in order to pay all functions of the phone have to be perfect. the long wait time is due to the fact that they get a LOT of phones. I saw a few hundred phones a day on a good day. but i can only work on maybe 30 or 40 depending on the phones and their issues if any.
it actually takes that long to verify something is good or bad.
however in the past there have been some customer service issues. phone calls going missing. emails not being replied to. but thats mostly in the past i believe. also have to understand the volume at times can be ridiculous. they are bound to get backed up and hectic from time to time just like any other company.
their website has been updated, prices are recent, blog is being posted to. looks like everything is back in order.

dont be so quick to call foul people. keep in mind on the other end might just be people just like you trying to earn a living. dont assume they want to rip you off if they miss a phone call.

virginia December 1, 2010 at 8:29 pm

i just sold my black berry to them i hope is not a scam. the adress i got for them is sellyourphone.com 5195 hampsted village center way suite 127 new albany oh 43054

Anthony Zebari April 5, 2011 at 10:22 pm

All, sorry to hear that there is scamming going on in an industry that already has a bad name (wireless business). I run a construction company in Houston, TX, We found a company a couple years back that recycled our phones, charges and manuals! We received a check in about 18 days. We’ve used them twice since then and have never had any issues. I have personally referred friends to their business and they have received their money in about the same time. It’s worth trying. The website is http://www.recellone.com Good Luck!

Angela April 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm

It is a fraud! The attorney general has a large file on all the fraud!

Cindy September 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

NOT true. I called the attorney general and they did NOT have record of complaints under the new owner. I sold several phones to this company and it was a positive experience.

Kevin September 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm

SellYourCell September 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Kevin. I find it odd that you still hold a grudge for a company that has been under new ownership for 1 1/2 years. Actually when I first bought the company I offered to pay you the $24 that you felt the old owner owed you. A goodwill gesture.

We have zero complaints to the Better Business Bureau under new ownership. We have zero complaints to the attorney general (despite Angela’s unsubstantiated claims). Plus, the company was never a scam despite some service issues that led to the prior owner’s sale.

Our company has and continues to buy thousands of phones a year and your site references a handful of complaints – none under new ownership. I’d hardly call that a scam.

It’s time to let go of your anger at an owner that hasn’t been involved in the business for some time. The $24 offer is still open. No strings attached. Keep the postings online, take the $24, take a deep breath and let go of your anger. Peace.

Kevin September 9, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Hey look! You share the same IP address (76.221.156.76) as “Cindy” the “satisfied customer who has sold many phones to the company”. Interesting!

Who said I’m angry? I’m responding to ignorant comments. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to read them.

Let me get this right…

1. SellYourCell is a scam
2. SellYourCell, for years, ripped off customers online by offering money for phones and never paying. This is *my* experience, which I wrote on *my* blog.
3. Other people with similar experiences commented saying they experienced the same thing.
4. The company was supposedly sold from someone in Florida to someone in Columbus, Ohio, who, if they were smart, did their research and knew they were buying a website/company with a, at best, damaged reputation.
5. The supposed new owners start fixing things — good, that’s probably why they bought the company. They saw value in the product and figured they could run it better.
6. This post becomes the #1 hit for “Sell Your Cell Scam”
7. Ultra-positive comments start appearing in this comment thread… all from a Columbus, OH IP address. These suspicious comments talk about how they have sold phones to the company.
8. I reply to one of these comments.
9. Miraculously, right after that (33 minutes from the time I replied to “Cindy”, I get a reply from “SellYourCell” about how I’m angry, blah blah blah. That comment comes from the exact same email address as Cindy, the supposed happy customer.

Well, color me shocked. What does SellYourCell have to hide? Why are you coming on my blog to leave fake comments lying about how awesome the service is? If you were as truthful and pro-customer as you mention, you wouldn’t come on here and straight up lie.

Yea, doesn’t sound like it is still a scam at all…

Edit: and now that I look at it, the comments from “Matt” on 7/16/2011 is from the same IP address, again, lying about being satisfied. Very, very interesting…

Matt July 16, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Sellyourcell.com is NOT a ripoff. When this report was written the company was under poor management. The company is now located in Columbus Ohio and was bought by a different person. It is very reliable and i have been fortunate enough to receive $1,000 for 13 high end blackberrys. I highly recommend sellyourcell.com!

Kevin September 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

This is a FAKE COMMENT by Sell Your Cell.

Buyer beware: http://www.nodebtplan.net/2009/05/13/is-sell-your-cell-a-scam/#comment-172369

SellYourCell July 18, 2011 at 11:21 am

Matt – thanks for your comment. Everything you said is true. The site was never a scam but the old owner did have customer service issues. We are now 100% dedicated to good customer service and hope that everyone is as happy as Matt!

Angela – I don’t know what you are talking about regarding the attorney general??? Post a link if you have really seen something. We currently have an A- rating with the Columbus, Ohio Better Business Bureau where we are located. The “-” is just because the company has only been under new ownership for less than a couple years. There are currently no complaints registered with the Better Business Bureau.

Give us a try and if you have any questions feel free to email at [email protected].

Kevin September 9, 2011 at 10:19 pm

This comment is in reply to a FAKE COMMENT at the same IP address as “Matt” above. More lies from Sell Your Cell.

Joseph May 23, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Thx Kevin, I got the return box in the mail today!! And had a sudden urge to do more research, and when I came across this,, I feel as if you saved me a lot of unnecessary problems, thx again Kevin , you are helping a lot of ppl out especially when you see this company posting fake comments!! Lol I’m done!! Throwing box away as we speak!!! Keep up the good work kevin

Matthew Rodgers April 14, 2016 at 10:35 am

sell-your-cell.com is a rip off. I’m actually contacting news stations and have already contacted the BBB and FTC. Next will be some lawyers to see if we cant hold this company responsible.

Ronald Edwards May 19, 2016 at 9:56 am

Then explain why your check you sent me bounced

Angela July 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

I communicated with the Attorney General myself and that is how I know. I do not know how the company is being ran now but I do know I have never been paid. I would think if you bought the company then you would have the records to fix the past problems. You just cant ignore customers because of the way it was being ran. I would rather throw my phones in the trash than deal with your company.

Matt September 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Congratulations kevin! You realized that my comments are from the same ip address as sellyourcell! I work for them, that’s why, and yes that post was true. They did buy my blackberrys for that much and I posted this to help get rid of the only bad reputation we have on the internet, which is your opinion. If you hate sellyourcell that much, then start your own company and run it your way. My boss bought this company while it was under ownership in Florida, and brought it to columbus. Since then, you’re the only complaint we’ve had, and guess what? It’s your opinion (which you’re entitled to) yet no facts to back it up. Im sorry if you had a bad experience, but humans are creatures of error. If your story is true (I don’t know, I wasn’t working here when it “happened”) then so be it. Bottom line: In our system, if you send in an order, you get a quote of what your phones cost IF they all work okay. If they don’t, we offer to ship them back to you, so either way, you can’t lose.

Kevin September 9, 2011 at 10:38 pm

The fact that you don’t think is unethical or any kind of conflict of interest to leave comments acting as if you are some random customer rather than an employee of the organization tells everyone who finds this page everything they need to know about the organization. If you had come on here and said you were an employee before leaving positive comments, there wouldn’t be a problem. But you didn’t, of course, because you/SellYourCell are still trying to deceive people. And that’s fine, just like it’s fine that I leave this post up, with these comments up, that show the true colors.

Happy scamming!

Buyer beware:

Simon September 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm

They quoted $26 for my Blackberry Storm & 2 months later, l actually received more then they quoted of $34 for my phone.

Ricky October 17, 2011 at 7:48 am

glad i found this i was about 5 min from using this site before finding this blog. the reason i decided to not go with this company is not because the “reported bad customer service and not getting paid” but because the “new” owner is on this blog lashing out at people who have bad expierences and so are the employees. i do not want to deal with a company like that. i believe that if they did have bad experiences with the company me being the “new” owner would not open the offer for the money now, i would just send the money like it was suppose to be done, then you would not come on here and have to defend yourself and make you look unprofessional, he would simply update saying the company was supposably bought and i recieved the money i was promised by the new owner. i think its great that the new owner cares about the reputation enough to do that. that right there would have gave you great feedback instead of negative when you try to argue with a customer.

Ryan A November 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. There is a big difference between doing the right thing and offering to do the right thing. In fact I’d say they are opposites.
Good call Ricky.

Ryan A November 9, 2011 at 11:11 pm

My experience was that they did communicate thoroughly through automated emails however I was paid $0 for my 5 phones for various reasons.
I shipped to them 5 working phones that were supposed to be worth an estimated $212 according to their website invoice. They responded explaining that they could not give me any money for these phones.
I have asked for an explanation and am awaiting their response.

Ryan A November 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Update:
I was informed (same day response from John) that there was a misinterpretation by a technician. Some of my phones were of no value and another was water damaged. The rest were said to be OK and that I would be compensated.
Today I received paypal payment for my phones.
So, my experience turned out OK:
10/21 they received shipment
11/9 emailed me saying no $
11/10 emailed them for explanation
11/10 issue resolved
11/13 payment received
To be honest I’m impressed with how quickly they handled this issue. If they are hoping to improve customer satisfaction I’d say they are on the right track.

mcarthurdw April 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

These pople are liars and scum. I have filed against them with the BBB, I enourage everyone to do the same. Sprad the word so these scum are put out of business

Neil February 4, 2016 at 11:44 am

Sell Your Cell IS A SCAM. I put in a 2 year old Samsung S4 and they told me based on condition I stated (they only give you three choices and mine was definitely in good condition) it would be around $97. I just got a paypal payment for my phone…7 fucking dollars. $7?! They lure you in with a high offer and basically steal your phone. F$%#$ these Motherf#[email protected]#$s.

David February 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I used Sell your Cell and sent in my damnaged Iphone 6.. It took 5 days to receive the box, 5 days to get to them, over 10 days for them to inspect the iphone and 5 days to send me a quote…. After which they quoted my device stating:
“After carefully inspecting your device by hand, seeing its condition, and following up-to-the-minute market conditions—you’re owed $25 for the device.

This is the same amount we’d pay everyone else for the same device right now, and it follows the Terms & Conditions we agreed upon when you sent your device.”

In other words.. This is probably the most they give anyone for their phones regardless of condition. Considering I was quoted $158 for the original broken iphone.. 15% of the original is a terrible return.

Do yourself a favor and don’t do any business with this website. In the end you will not receive close to what they first quote you.

Abbee Matthews February 17, 2016 at 4:34 pm

This website is a total scam! They valued my phone at $199. I shipped it and after weeks received an email that I would be paid a measly $20!!! The customer service was beyond rude and interrupted me over and over! They lied about when emails were sent and said I was not within the time frame to disput the sale!!! They emailed me the value on the 12th and I disputed yesterday and they tried to say they emailed me on the 3rd! A COMPLETE LIE. I have all my emails and plan on having my local police post this scam website to their website and Facebook page! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I AM IN FACT CONSIDERING A CIVIL SUIT DUE TO THEIR LIES AND PAIN AND SUFFERING ON MY PART!

matt February 23, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Cell your cell screwed me too. I was quoted $178 fir a good condition samsung s5, mine was perfect , had a case and hard screen cover on it always. They took about a month an sent me $25. I called and said i never agree to that amout they said they sent an email but i checked all my e mails including spam no mail from them. They said they cant send back my phone because it was already processed. They are crooks.bad buisness.

tyler February 25, 2016 at 9:11 am

This company is a complete scam. They said they would offer me $250 for an Iphone 6. 18 days later I get an email notifying me that they are paying me $26 for the phone. Then when I call to complain and ask for my phone back, they tell me it has already been recycled and there are no refunds. I would never use this company or reccomend it to anyone. Use Gazelle.Com!!

John LaScola February 26, 2016 at 9:44 am

This company is a complete scam. The offered to pay $150 for my phone, which was in absolutely perfect and I mean perfect condition. Upon notification of a check being sent, I explored my account to find they were sending $11. What a load of crap. I called them to find they found a number of fictitious problems with the phone that were complete and utter BS. Do not trust this company.

keri March 3, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I used sell-your-cell. I had a Samsung 5s in good condition and upgraded. I was quoted $193. I got their box to ship it back to them which came in 2 days, and then after almost a week I got an email saying that my phone was worth $10.00. I replied back with an email that I wanted the phone shipped back to me, only I received an email stating that I had to call so I called the next day. I was then offered $45 for the phone. Again I said I want my phone back. I was told that my phone would be shipped back to me ground ups, not first class usps, so that it would take over a week to get to me.
The company address is in Nevada, but the phone number says that I calling California. 949-269-2525. Do not use. this is a scam.

Sam March 24, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, I was quoted $122 for an Iphone 5, so I went ahead and shipped it in. Today I got an email saying, “congratulations, we’ve appraised your phone and its worth $7.” Be forewarned, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is..

Chelsea Ellis March 28, 2016 at 11:22 am

This company is the BIGGEST RIP OFF!

Chelsea Ellis March 28, 2016 at 11:26 am

This company is the BIGGEST RIP OFF! They have it written in their by-laws that you have to accept or reject their offer within 5 days or it is considered “accepted”. What they fail to mention is that they intentionally classify or send their correspondence to spam folders, so customers don’t see them in time. I sent in a perfectly decent 64 g phone with very minimal sign of use and got $5 for it. By the time I got the e-mail from Paypal, it was too late and the company coldly stated the phone had already been “recycled”. Thanks for nothing, literally. You’re better off selling it on the street.

jane March 30, 2016 at 4:40 pm

I wish I read your review before I fell for this company. I had a gut feeling I should have followed, to good to be true. Offer was for over $100, about 20% more than other reputable companies were offering for my phone. After a few weeks (and yes, no correspondence from the company to update) an offer of $7 was sent to me…. 80% less than a broken phone was even worth, and it was mint condition at only 6 months old! Called to have returned immediately. See what condition I get it retuned in, don’t feel to hopeful.

Jimmy April 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm

You “COULD” receive $134 but here is $25 instead. Place is a rip off. It has been over two months of waiting for $25. I would of just gave my iPhone 5s and 5c to a bum if I knew this is how it would end. Must be a huge overhead like the Wounded Warrior Project.

Matthew Rodgers April 14, 2016 at 9:46 am

Contact me [email protected]. Im contacting the news and some other people to have this business investigated.

cindy April 13, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I am glad I found this I had just packaged up a phone to send to them. I guess I will sell it local. Thanks!

Matthew Rodgers April 14, 2016 at 9:45 am

They offered me $278 for an IPhone 6. The only thing wrong with it was the screen was cracked. They sent me an email and told me they were sending me a check for $20. I called and they claimed it had pressure damage on the inside. The phone worked perfect. I notifying the news so if you or anyone else you know has been lied to or ripped off, please email me at [email protected]. I gurante my phone is damaged even more now.

Matthew Rodgers April 14, 2016 at 9:51 am

Everyone that has been ripped off, contact 1-877-FTC-HELP and file a complaint. That is the first step.

George April 20, 2016 at 11:52 am

I just received my check for $5 for my 5c almost mint condition phone when I was originally quoted $120. Called the company figuring it was a mistake and was told that it had internal white spots (?) and had already been recycled. I am over the money portion of this transaction but I want this company to stop deceiving people.

Completely disgusted here.

Beatrice May 2, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I sent my iphone5 which was quoted $115 on their site. Received an email that it’s worth $7. I called and was told that their department was really busy and hold times are very long. Someone could call me back. I opted to hold despite the “busy” hold times and it turned out I was caller #2. After the recording told me I am caller #1 I was still on hold – the total call time ended up being 22 minutes with approx 15 minutes on hold. Once I got a person, I was told that there were some slight scratches on the side of the phone (I have always had the phone in a full case) and the battery is about to die. Based on this the phone is not worth anymore than that. Nice try! I requested to have the phone sent back to me (I was within the 5 day limit they allot you to respond) which I was told that they would. Not pleased that they scam you with a high-price offer and then try to tell you your phone is worthless.

rorie21 May 15, 2016 at 11:07 pm

Wow ! I just sent my iPhone 6s plus in 2 days ago OMG !I’m just now seeing the reviews and I’m very upset.

Ronald Edwards May 19, 2016 at 10:00 am

I hope you get what they quoted you. I also hope you get paid by paypal not by check as they sent me a bounced check and they give you the runaround. please don’t use them. its a ripoff

Ronald Edwards May 19, 2016 at 10:20 am

Look and listen people, I have never been so angry in my life as i am now. Sell your cell is the biggest scam i have ever encountered. First they try to tell me that my iPhone 6 plus is worth $364, they then lie to me and tell me that there is a bad esn. when i call them on it they say let them see what they can do. 1 month passed before i hear from again and they offer 75 for the phone. i go ahead and except the 75 and the check they sent me bounced. I call them and they wand proof the check bounced and i send them proof. Then they want more proof and i get very angry and tell them flat out that i am not doing their job for them. they claim to have sent me a good check that i should have no problems we will see. If i was the head of the company and i found out one of my checks bounced i personally would have contacted the customer and explained the situation to them then made good by sending the good check by fed ex or ups. thats called good business.

Maiyia May 26, 2016 at 12:46 am

Such a pleasure reading all of these comments. Glad I’m not the only one being deceived by this whacked ass company. Someone do something about it! I’m ready to fight for my phone!!!

Jason Cay May 27, 2016 at 9:00 am

I was just about to mail in 2 Samsung Galaxy s5 in great condition. But once I research this company, so glad I am staying away. Screw you Sell Your Cell! http://www.sellyourcell.com is a scam!

Shannon Cornett May 29, 2016 at 2:18 am

I also recently sent 2 iPhones 6 plus and 6 (64gb+16gb) no word or email and I have placed several calls ,so I am preparing a class action lawsuit as we speak if the attorney finds this appealing they will start working the case,in which everyone who has lost phone ,$ or check bounced all need to help bring them to light and pay for what they owe us,enough waiting and wondering as the company obviously got too much scam and I am fighting back against sell your cell and hope you will join !

Lesa Witt July 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Ok I’m going threwith the same issue. How do we get a civil case started.. I sent them a flawless s7edge. And was suppose to get 622 for it.

T. Hood July 17, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I wish I had found this comment section before I did the same thing and sent my 2 phones in with hopes of extra cash…11mth old phone, like new. I think those of us that sold our phones on good faith at the quote we were given, should band together and do something. I am sick of all of the scams out there. I am definitely in Shannon.

T Gaddis July 19, 2016 at 11:47 am

I will join! please let me know when you are doing this

T Gaddis July 19, 2016 at 11:46 am

This company is a complete RIP OFF! You can tell me all you want how they are under new management and they treat their customers fair but that is a lie! Do not use them! It took them over a month to process my order after they quoted me almost $600 for an ipad and iphone then I get an email for only $75 for them both?!?!?! Then when you want to talk to a manger they wont let you and hang up on you! Great customer service right???? So now they have my stuff and wont answer my calls! RIP-OFF THE 12 DEGREE!!! I will only ever use gazelle they actually stick to their word and price quote plus its only a 1-2 week turn around – with 1000 times better customer service

Stacy July 20, 2016 at 7:02 am

I’m confused. You stated that you completed an order on March 14 and that you mailed them a couple days later. When I called the phone number from the website, it said “seller services,” not “rush ventures.” It also gave me business hours, and it told me to call back during normal business hours,