How to Make a Double Doozie Cookie Cake

by Kevin on May 15, 2009

Yesterday was my beautiful bride’s birthday. We went out to her favorite restaurant, had great Italian food, and came home for dessert. I didn’t tell her what I was making and made her sit on the couch in the living room while I worked away.

Now let me say we are really big fans of cookie cakes from Great American Cookie Company and Mrs. Fields. Throw the healthy living kick out the window — it’s your birthday and you can eat whatever you want.

The Problem: Cookie Cakes are Expensive

Some of you may think this is ridiculous, but a $40 cookie cake is just too much for me. It’s just cookies, right?

Of course it depends on the size you get, but I think the last price I saw for a 12″ round cookie cake was $45 or so. Ouch.

On top of that she and I are both really big fans of what Great American Cookie Company calls “double doozies” — essentially a cookie sandwich with icing in the middle. They run around $3 for the cookie sized ones at the store.

We take it to the next level — you can get a double doozie cookie cake. Two cakes stacked on top of each other with icing in the middle. It’s heart attack heaven in a box. (We don’t get the 12″ round one. That would be a bit much. They make a smaller rectangular one.)

But the cost of a double doozie cookie cake is at least double of a regular cookie cake. We’re not about to drop that much money on a cake.

The Solution: Make a Cookie Cake at Home

It was crazy easy and extraordinarily affordable.

Here’s what I used:

• Nestle Tollhouse 40 oz. premade cookie dough in a tub ($4.69)
  • (3) 16 oz. cans of cake icing (I only needed two) ($1.59 each)
  • icing decorating tool set (we already had this)
  • (2) 8″ square pans (part of her birthday present)
  • 4 color food coloring ($3.29)

You press the cookie dough into the bottom of a greased pan and bake it for 15-20 minutes (golden brown). I let them cool for a bit, and put a layer of icing on what would become the bottom layer.

Then most difficult part was getting the top layer out of its individual pan and putting it on top of the bottom layer. It kind of crumbled, so I ended up cutting it into 4 squares and transferring it to the other pan.

I wanted a multicolored icing theme, so I put the white icing in the decorating set first and did the edges. Then I added several drops of yellow and red food coloring to a second can of white icing and made orange icing. The result wasn’t exactly the vibrant orange I was going for, but hey, it works.

Here’s the final product that cost $12.75 for all of the supplies. I’m not factoring in here that we have 1/2 of a tub of cookie dough left, 1/2 a canister of orange icing left, a full canister of (unopened) of white icing left, and obviously a whole bunch of food coloring left. If you factor this in the cost drops to somewhere in the $8.36 range (not discounting anything out for food coloring).

We’ll be able to make another double decker cake just like this with what’s left — and both cakes combined will be less than 25% of what one cake would cost retail. Awesome.

Not half bad, eh?

Amy May 15, 2009 at 7:49 am

Oh. My. God. Can you PLEASE send me a piece?? :o)

Michael Teegarden January 15, 2010 at 10:25 am

Wow! Looks yummy! I know what I’m having for dessert!

Liz May 15, 2009 at 7:57 am

How smart — and sweet — of you! Way to go!

Now, if you made the cookie dough yourself, it would be a little more work, but you could get rid of all of the processed ingredients in the toll house dough. Might cost a little more to use real butter instead of shortening, but not eating trans fats is worth it, right?

If you were to make a round one, seems like a spring-form pan would allow you to get it out of the pan without issue.

Something to think about when you have more time!

Kevin May 15, 2009 at 8:03 am

@Amy: Nope! All mine… err, hers… 🙂

@Liz: True, but I was under a time crunch. I suppose I could have made the cookie dough the day before, but it gets awfully difficult to hide in the fridge! It was just easier to buy everything, bring it home, and throw it together.

The spring-form pan is a GREAT idea. We’ve got one of those. Wish I had thought of that!

Michael Teegarden January 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

That’s how we all feel.

Philip May 15, 2009 at 8:13 am

I have learned that decorating cakes takes way more talent that I originaly thought. My mom used to make cakes and ice them with bugs bunny, or crayolas or dukes of hazard car (my favorite). All of them very impressive, we once tried to make one for her and it came out looking horrible, none of the colors were close. Fortunatly it still tastes fine, and hopefully it was the thought that counts for her.

My brother made banana pudding and then used some icing to write on top of it, it was really good but very interesting way to celebrate.

Great job on all of yours and I will have to keep it in mind.

Jay May 15, 2009 at 4:15 pm

It looks horrible. But if it tastes good, children (or even children at heart) surely won’t mind. And it leaves you money to buy balloons too.

Michael Teegarden January 15, 2010 at 10:39 am

Oh, you’re a nice person to say it looks horrible Jay! But a nice person to say it tastes good.

Karen R May 16, 2009 at 10:25 am

I would be thrilled, if dh went to all that work on my birthday! You did a good job on the writing. I find that the hardest part of decorating a cake or in this case a cookie.

Kevin May 16, 2009 at 1:21 pm

@Philip: Definitely true! I can’t ice a regular cake — I end up with crumbs all over the top mixed in with the icing. Just not my skill 🙂

@Karen: Writing and as I wrote to Phillip, icing a regular cake is difficult for me!

Miss T May 16, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Great idea – this is the type of post I love to read – see something great and then DIY! And the part that is just priceless: knowing your husband and kids put their time, effort and love into it! Nice job!

Nancy May 17, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I love it , I wish I had thought of it.
I can’t wait until you add more simple reciepes.
I like the fact that your receipes don’t have 40 items to add and take forever. I am all about cheaper and simple.

Keep adding them.

Cynthia January 16, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Does anyone have the recipes for the white and/or chocolate icing for the cookie cakes at the cookie company? Premade icing doesn’t taste near as good as what they use. I’ve been searching site after site for icing recipes that resemble theirs, but I still haven’t found one that comes close.

Patsy-Rose March 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I have made large cookies on round pizza pans and have gone to the local HEB or grocery store and purchased some icing from the bakery….nothing like the good stuff. Affordable and tasty. Steer clear of the darker colors because it stains your teeth and tongue :). Hope this helps you out.

Taryn July 8, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Done a few at home cookie cakes. I use the tollhosue recipe on the back of the choclate chips – using shortening few a more chewy cookie. Just a tip for all of you try cut out a piece of wax paper the shape of the pan, lay it in the pan, add cookie dough spread into pan cookie for 15-20 depending on the pan and when done flip out of pan on cooking racks without splitting the cookie. The wax paper helps with easy release. Flip back over onto bottom and decorate. Use wilton colors usually found at any walmart that way you can see exactly what color u want and get the results your looking for 🙂 Have fun!

skittles December 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm

if you go to northlake mall in charlotte they have a great american cookie store and you can buy a cookie cake for like $10.By the way it’s really good trust me!