Things I Am Thankful for in 2010

by Kevin on November 27, 2010

It’s two days after Thanksgiving: have you stopped being thankful?

Not me. There are a lot of things I am very thankful for. Some of them are financial, but a lot of them aren’t. I can’t share them all or we’d all be here forever, but here’s a snapshot.

Do any of these sound familiar to you? What are you thankful for this year?

I’m thankful for having a solid financial knowledge foundation. I’m not a CPA. I’m not a Certified Financial Planner. But I’ve got a solid foundation that should carry my wife and I well as we grow older. I’m not perfect and of course I’ve made mistakes, but I think we’re a lot better prepared for financial challenges than a lot of my peers.

I’m thankful numbers, spreadsheets, and budgets come easy for me. I’m not ashamed to admit I love working on the ole budget!

I’m thankful I work for a company that will let me transfer to an office much closer to our families. I’m thankful for that even though it’s put a lot of stress on us in terms of trying to sell our house, finding a new place to live, and finding my wife a job.

I’m thankful our marriage has remained rock solid even with all of these additional stresses. My wife is beyond amazing. (I’m not thankful for having to once again put things in a moving box then put stacks of those boxes and furniture in the back of a truck. Ugh!)

I’m thankful we have good benefits and I can enough vacation time off during the year to really unplug and relax for a bit. And I’m thankful our incomes have provided us all that we need.

I’m thankful (and super excited) that I’ve been able to develop a side income through freelance writing. When I first started blogging here at No Debt Plan I wasn’t sure where it would lead. It was just a financial blogging adventure at the time. Since then I’ve been able to pick up a handful of clients, and I’m busy working on growing that income further. The opportunity the internet provides is amazing.

That reminds me. I’m thankful for intellectual challenges. I’m currently working on a new project with the aims of sharing my freelance writing experience and helping you develop a side income. I’ll sure more sometime in the future, but I’m curious how many readers would be interested in reading something in that area. (Leave a comment letting me know!)

I’m also thankful for readers like Golfing Girl, Budgeting in the Fun Stuff, First Gen American, and Frugal Zeitgeist that comment faithfully on this blog. Ya’ll rock!

I’m thankful for (ultimately) silly things like football and basketball games. I’m thankful Tennessee came back from 2-6 to finish the regular season 6-6 with a bowl trip in the future. And I’m thankful UT won the NIT championship this week. (It must be noted that I’m not thankful for NCAA investigations!)

I’m thankful for reward checking accounts that have replaced a lot of my spending on cash back credit cards. I’m especially thankful for the loads of interest I earn every month with them.

So what about you? What are you thankful for this year?

First Gen American November 28, 2010 at 4:57 am

I am touched that I made your list. With all the hours I spend on the computer for fun, it’s nice to know that it’s not all wasted and someone else is getting something out of it. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of reading financial blogs and especially the relationships I’ve made, so thank you.

The things I’m most thankful for is a happy and healthy family. Second, I’m so glad my husband and I are both employed with good paying jobs so that we can achieve our financial goals faster (and have a little leftover for fun while we do it).

I was just thinking about how I’d love to lose 10-20 pounds and that’s what’s been plaguing me ever since kid 2 was born. Wow..what a life I have where my biggest worry is having too much food to eat and not having the willpower to walk away from leftover thanksgiving pie.
Life’s good. Nice post.

Kevin November 29, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Life is good. We sometimes just lose the goodness in the details and worry.

Thanks for the comment!

Golfing Girl November 29, 2010 at 7:35 am

Aww, shucks, you made me blush! 😉
I’m thankful that I stumbled into blogs like yours and have increased my financial savvy ten-fold and hope to help as many others as I can by leading a good example and sharing “financial secrets” with anyone who asks. My main “financial secret”: being frugal and non-materialistic…I know, a mind-blower for some.

Kevin November 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Indeed, quite the mind blower.

Wait, you’re telling me you don’t have an iPhone, iPad, Droid X, Mercedes Benz, and all the latest and greatest fashions?

Shame on you. 🙂

Golfing Girl November 29, 2010 at 7:44 am

P.S. I’m thankful for my good health and my family’s health, as that isn’t something you can buy if it breaks down. I’m also thankful that I met and married a man who is financially responsible and embraces frugality–and didn’t bring any debt to the alter with him. 🙂 We were truly blessed to start out life together with $0 debt thanks to wise choices and generous parents.

Teri November 29, 2010 at 8:24 am

I am thankful for people like you who take the time to do blogs that give useful information. I would be interested in reading about developing side incomes.

Kevin November 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Teri! Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate the kind words. You readers have no idea how nice this simple act of leaving a comment is. You do all this writing and a lot of times you get no response… like talking to a wall.

So I really do appreciate the comment. I’ll see what others say about side income… it’s definitely something I’m thought a lot on.

Forest November 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

Nice list and thanks for the mention :). Moving is a pain in the butt! I am trying to whittle my life down to fit in a suitcase again as have collected too much stuff again.

I am thankful that I live in Egypt, Thankful that my partner Lara is awesome, Thankful for my friends and Thankful for my health, oh and my awesome job (working online).

Kevin November 29, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Wow, how big are your suitcases? 🙂

Congrats on working online… might want to collaborate with you if I end up starting a side income blog (highly likely I will).

Budgeting in the Fun Stuff November 29, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I’m with First Gen – I just got a huge Monday smile by actually being on your thankful list! Thank you!

Your post reminded me that I’m thankful that we are not moving again yet – it’s been 3 years and I still remember the general ickiness. You have my full sympathy.

I’m also thankful that my husband and I are healthy, we were lucky enough to be born into good homes, that we have solid jobs with good benefits, and that I discovered blogging. I never met so many great people so easily before! I’ve also never had a hobby job that I’ve ever enjoyed this much!

I am thankful for your kindness and your reminder to be thankfull all the time. 🙂

Kevin November 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Thanks for the comment.

Yea. Moving. Well, not much nice to say about moving. The cost of doing it yourself is so much cheaper than hiring movers, but the back pain is obviously much higher! (There is no way we’ll ever hire movers… I’m not paying thousands of dollars for someone to pick up my boxes and put them back down somewhere new.)

Blogging is quite the adventure — best of luck with yours!